PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Start - 2nd Thread - Desperate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2015, 02:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Default No Start - 2nd Thread - Desperate

H.E.L.P!..............lol!

I am desperate, I have tried everything. I started another thread a few months back and figured it would be easier and shorter to start a fresh thread. Long story short, I was driving and the car started to knock but not more than 30 seconds and stopped so I pulled over and the car shut off. No CEL or codes and wouldn't restart.

I have done all of the following and done a gazillion searches for more ideas but most often people never reply with their result be it the problem fixed or junking the car.

Compression Good
Fuel Good
Spark Good
Timing Good
Relays/Fuses checked and cleaned
Battery Fully Charged
IC/tubes have no holes

Replaced:
Coil
Plugs / Wires
Cam / Crank Sensor
Ignition switch
Tried Starting Fluid

Still No Codes Present during trial and error.

I really don't want to take it to a dealer when I believe I have covered most of the possibilities short of it being the PCM.

Last edited by Dahoopd; 03 Dec 2015 at 07:35 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Start - 2nd Thread - Desperate

I would suggest pulling the PCV valve hose off and see if it starts.

If no change there then I would suggest removing the Camshaft sensor connector and see if it starts without the connector hooked up to the camshaft sensor. Do not attempt to keep trying to start it as it will stress out the PCM. Just try starting it a couple of times.

Post what you find out.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 05:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest pulling the PCV valve hose off and see if it starts.
If no change there then I would suggest removing the Camshaft sensor connector and see if it starts without the connector hooked up to the camshaft sensor. Do not attempt to keep trying to start it as it will stress out the PCM. Just try starting it a couple of times.
Post what you find out.
Steve,

Thank you for the advice, I tried both. First the PCV then the cam sensor. I only cranked it a couple of times. It still cranked the same on both tries.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 06:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you might either use a noid light to see the injectors pulsing, or use starting fluid to verify fuel is not the cause.

once you do that, it is either spark, compression, or timing... even though you say all are good. it's a motor and with the basic needs met, they run.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 06:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you think back, why and when did it initially stop running?

i looked at your previous posts and i see things like no compression, etc. makes more sense just to ask you.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if everything is right then tis something you are overlooking if you say it could be the PCM that would be where id look
Old 03 Dec 2015, 06:30 pm
Young Cruiser

I will answer all 3 in one thread so as not to get off topic or end up with 30 pages. I tried the starting fluid, just forgot to mention that in original post. The compression is fine as I had it checked since the first thread. I don't recall what the numbers were but had a mechanic stop by and he tested and said it was fine.

How would one check to see if the PCM is bad.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you have spark and fuel and compression, is not the pcm. If it were the computer, either the injectors wouldn't pulse, or it wouldn't spark.

Did starting fluid do anything? If not, the issue is spark. Either there is no spark, or its sparking at the wrong time. You need to figure out which. Don't buy anything yet. Don't assume pcm.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your PT was running and shut down there will be Diagnostic Trouble Codes. In many cases you must use a diagnostic scanning tool to view them. The exception would be a failing or faulty PCM or PCM communication harness.

Were you using an OBDII Scan Tool to read the codes?

Have you tried resetting the DTC's with a OBDII Scan Tool and see if any codes come up?
Old 03 Dec 2015, 07:34 pm
Young Cruiser

This is why threads go wrong. I am very thankful for all of the help you guys are giving. But, as I stated. I tried starting fluid and it didn't any different. There were no codes when it shut off and there still are no codes. I will go back and correct the 1st post.