Factory Woody Vinyl

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By thehoghunter
  • 1 Post By alanrw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2016, 11:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Factory Woody Vinyl

Hey Guys, I have a 2002 Pt Woody (factory woody). The tail gate hatch vinyl is starting to go. Doing research here on the forum, I have found that the product used was a product 3M Di-NOC vinyl which is available here:

Wood Grain Vinyl Film - 3M Di-Noc & Avery

Does anyone happen to know which color/wood specie was used by the factory on the PT?

Thanks for the assist.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 12:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Factory Woody Vinyl

i believe your best bet would be to either ask "Fellers" for samples or a sample book, or contact 3M and imply you're running/starting a vehicle wrap business.

you may need to contact 3M to get the free samples in this case because woodgrain is such an oddball vinyl that nobody wants to stock it or even carry the color charts because it doesn't sell.

i mean as opposed to guessing and buying the $1.99 samples in your link.

if you ask 3M for a sample or two, they usually send you a yard or two of material instead of selling you a 3" x 5" scrap
Old 29 Feb 2016, 04:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 07:10 pm.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 04:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

see this link - pt factory woody kit

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 01 Mar 2016, 12:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
A wood-grained oak/ash graphic will be added to all doors, quarter panels and liftgate. The PT Cruiser Woodie option will be available on any base, Touring or Limited Cruiser for $895.
So THAT'S why it's so rare!

Last edited by ClovisMan; 01 Mar 2016 at 12:56 am.
Old 03 Mar 2016, 01:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The tailgate insert is always the first panel to deteriorate on Woodies.
I ordered my replacement DiNoc panel for the 02 Woodie from moparparts.com I believe. The panel has the cutouts for the latch and lock cylinder and is about $125 plus the freight.
You should use a heat gun to soften the old panel to remove it. Be wary of heating the surround beams.
Clean the panel, it will be factory paint the color of your car, then carefully install new one working from inside out. Trim to fit nicely at the beams.
3M estimates life of this trim at 5-7 years with proper care.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 02:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

OK, ordered a sample of this stuff, seemed to match pretty well.

Flexible Cheyenne Teak Wood Grain Vinyl Wrap Film

This is a product made by Avery not 3M.

Spent 3 hours with a heat gun and a water based adhesive remover as well as a can of Paint Clean Up solvent, got all the vinyl and glue off while preserving the outer frames. I carefully razored (with a metal blade) the vinyl at the borders. To scrape off the vinyl, I used plastic razor blades specifically made just for this task. They don't harm the paint. I had to remove the tail hatch latch and lock cylinder. The lock cylinder removal is straight forward. The latch (which is chromed plastic and is contiguous to the body color semicircular hatch latch recess) is held on with 2 screws and 2 outer clips. I snapped the outer plastic clips off but the latch and extensions are held on with a 3M stick product (similar gray stuff used to attach body trim. I am confident the replacement 3M gray stick stuff will hold the outer wings of the rear hatch latch assembly. The outer wings, center latch and body circular dish are all one piece.

Next step is to apply the vinyl which I happened to find local to me at a vinyl graphics supply house which is where I got the plastic razor blades.

Here is the link:

McLogan | McLogan Home Page | McLogan Supply Company

After you peel off the vinyl, you spray the water based adhesive remover, let it sit for a minute or 2 then scrape off the glue. The Paint Clean Up solvent (Lowe's) removes what ever is left without damaging/lifting the paint.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 03:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Don't forget to post before & after pics.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost