PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2016, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Fuses: good
Grounds: clean/not broken
Battery posts/clamps: clean

Just have to run to the store and pick up a spark checker then will report back again.

Also my friend was saying maybe it could be the camshaft sensor? I think that's what he said, does that sound right or could be an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2016, 01:08 pm
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0cpaul View Post
Fuses: good
Grounds: clean/not broken
Battery posts/clamps: clean

Just have to run to the store and pick up a spark checker then will report back again.

Also my friend was saying maybe it could be the camshaft sensor? I think that's what he said, does that sound right or could be an issue?
I think they will generally run when the cam position sensor goes out. Those can be intermittent, but when mine went out the car would run and then cut out at 2,500 rpm. I have heard of people unplugging them and trying to start the car. I think the car should start and throw the P0340 code, but I have not had to try it.
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2016, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest getting an spark checker to check for spark.


They are reasonable at Harbor Freight.
Search results for: 'spark checker'
Tested the spark, and got no spark...

So to recap:

Replaced Ignition coil
Checked/cleaned battery posts/clamps
Fuses are good
Grounds are good
Battery is good..

What should I do about no spark?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2016, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Do you still have the original coil? If so, try putting it back on and see if it fires up. I don't get how doing a tune up can kill one. I've been pulling my own wrenches for over 45 years and have NEVER experienced that.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2016, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Do you still have the original coil? If so, try putting it back on and see if it fires up. I don't get how doing a tune up can kill one. I've been pulling my own wrenches for over 45 years and have NEVER experienced that.
Put on the original coil and see if I get a spark? Because it wasn't starting before. I don't think the tune up killed it. The car was driving fine for a week (but it did have an issue with overheating so I only drove it locally)

As I recall it overheated one day to where I had to pull over. Let it cool off for awhile and was able to drive home (eventually) where it sat for a few days. Then it wouldn't start.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2016, 12:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,600
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Do you have a OBDII Scan Tool so you can reset the DTC's and try starting it until your engine light comes on again. You should be triggering engine trouble codes.

Is your little security red light staying on on the dash when you are trying to start the engine or does it go off?

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition to the "On" position?

These listed below are the most common problems when there is no spark.
1. No power to the ignition coil pack.
2. Bad ignition coil pack.
3. Bad crankshaft position sensor.

If you are not getting any codes related to the ignition timing after resetting with an OBDII Scan Tool I would suggest checking the wiring going to the crankshaft position sensor and making sure the crankshaft position sensor is working properly. If the crankshaft position sensor is properly I would take the camshaft position sensor wire off and turn over the engine to see if the computer is triggering the code for camshaft position sensor code error.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2016, 07:58 am
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

^What Steve said. + Is the check engine light on?
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Do you have a OBDII Scan Tool so you can reset the DTC's and try starting it until your engine light comes on again. You should be triggering engine trouble codes.

Is your little security red light staying on on the dash when you are trying to start the engine or does it go off?

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition to the "On" position?

These listed below are the most common problems when there is no spark.
1. No power to the ignition coil pack.
2. Bad ignition coil pack.
3. Bad crankshaft position sensor.

If you are not getting any codes related to the ignition timing after resetting with an OBDII Scan Tool I would suggest checking the wiring going to the crankshaft position sensor and making sure the crankshaft position sensor is working properly. If the crankshaft position sensor is properly I would take the camshaft position sensor wire off and turn over the engine to see if the computer is triggering the code for camshaft position sensor code error.
Thanks Steve, I did reset the codes before and did not get anything pertaining to ignition but I will check again.

Are you talking about the light red light within my gauages or the security system light?

Yes I do hear fuel.

For the camshaft position sensor, is it okay to buy online or do I should I only go through the dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0cpaul View Post
Thanks Steve, I did reset the codes before and did not get anything pertaining to ignition but I will check again.

Are you talking about the light red light within my gauages or the security system light?

Yes I do hear fuel.

For the camshaft position sensor, is it okay to buy online or do I should I only go through the dealer?
Why are you replacing the camshaft position sensor? I do not think that your symptoms indicate that is a problem. Even if you are throwing parts at it, that is probably a $50 mistake. Steve said it *could* be the crankshaft position sensor. Why not do a little diagnostic work instead of running to the parts store? If you insist on buying something, why not go for a scan tool?

*FWIW, general consensus seems to be that the Mopar cam position sensor is superior. (4out5boardmembersagree) I went aftermarket because the dealer was closed and no trouble so far <knockwood>
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2016, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,600
Default Re: Car Won't Star Start After Tuneup

I am not positive of the color wires you have going to your coil so please verify that the colors I am posting is correct. From what I have the dark green/orange is your ASD positive wire. dark blue/tan wire is one of the coil's ground triggered by the PCM and the black/grey wire is the other coil's ground trigger by the PCM.

Check to see if your ASD positive dark green/orange wire has voltage on it.

Voltmeters at Harbor Freight are reasonable at $5.99.
Digital Multimeter - Save on this 7 Function Digital Multimeter

How are you resetting your engine trouble codes?
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Oct 2016 at 02:41 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
p0031, p0037, wont start


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On-Star Mirror chiefsfanforever70 General PT Cruiser Discussions 5 28 Jun 2014 05:21 pm
5 Star Shine? PT-ERA The Detail Shop 6 11 Feb 2007 10:17 pm
Three Pointed Star turbomangt The Detail Shop 9 01 Dec 2004 11:00 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors