Rear Link bushings

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2017, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Link bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Another thing to take a look at would be the center motor mount. .
This mount is very hard to gain access to and to test for function without the being up on a rack/hoist.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 May 2017, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL... what ?? now you doubt me ?? come on now... I gotta laugh.
Tpr
Old 03 May 2017, 03:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGlosta View Post
2001 Cruiser, base, 2.4 120K

I'm getting a slight knock from rear of car when driving off , coming to stop: sounds like there is enough play in the links to produce this sound.

I'll be replacing the rear link bushings and wondering if there are other sources for the knock.

Also, gas tank filler neck is pretty rusted, any sources for replacement?

Thanks
My fuel filler neck rusted out in my 2001 Touring model and needed replacing, the OEM part was discontinued and the two different parts I could find did not match what was on the car. Attached is a picture comparing the original and the first of the two parts I ordered as a replacement. This is off of amazon - Spectra Premium FN663 filler neck. The second part was identical to the non-matching first part I ordered. I ended up using one pulled from a scrapyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ffiller2.jpg (35.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 03 May 2017, 05:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

I installed the complete Energy Suspension master kit with the black bushings in my car years ago. I have not ever head a squeak out of any of them.

I have installed the Energy Suspension black bushings in other vehicles with zero squeaks as well.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 04 May 2017, 08:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I installed the complete Energy Suspension master kit with the black bushings in my car years ago. I have not ever head a squeak out of any of them.

I have installed the Energy Suspension black bushings in other vehicles with zero squeaks as well.
FWIW, I was trying to remember why you kept emphasizing black, but and then I remembered something I read years ago. They supposedly impregnated the black with graphite to reduce squeaks. They didn't put it in the red because it discolors.

Quote:
1) What is the difference between the Energy Suspension ® red and black polyurethane components?

Answer: Both are our Energy's HYPER-FLEX™ performance polyurethane formulations. Energy has impregnated selected black polyurethane components with graphite–to add a lubrication property. Additionally, both Energy Suspension ® red and black polyurethane components are engineered differently than OEM rubber components–to be free a floating and non-binding design. This allows for the additional durometer (firmness) of the components, which adds to the performance improvement of the vehicle overall.
Through its 25 years of design and formulation of polyurethane, Energy's polyurethane components are the best on the market today.
That is from years ago, but it might explain your success compared to the failure of others.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 04 May 2017, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Rear Link bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
FWIW, I was trying to remember why you kept emphasizing black, but and then I remembered something I read years ago. They supposedly impregnated the black with graphite to reduce squeaks. They didn't put it in the red because it discolors.

That is from years ago, but it might explain your success compared to the failure of others.

that is exactly why. Also I think the red bushings look terrible on most vehicles...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 04 May 2017, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

During the early years of ES (Energy Suspension) bushing in the late 70's early 80" the number one complaint was noise.

Over the years ES tried several things one of which was the graphite in the black bushing. This product made the bushing a bit more costly to manufacture so it is not available on the full line of bushing and after ES own testing they determined it really made NO DIFFERENCE.

However their current lubricant is Marine grade none petroleum grease with PTFE. If applied as per the instruction or to most any polyurethane bushing the grease will prevent the typical noise often experienced using polyurethane product in the suspension. However it is still not a guarantee to stop the noise in all applications and the grease needs to be serviced occasionally to prevent noise and keep the bushings lubricated.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 May 2017 at 04:06 pm.
Old 04 May 2017, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I bought the full RED Energy Suspension Kit off eBay about 3 years ago and had my mechanic install it. Not sure if he used any extra lube but I've never heard any squeaks from the undercarriage since they were installed. I just had a look underneath and you can hardly tell it was the bright red kit. Just a little red showing on all the bushings and pieces.

Old 04 May 2017, 05:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
During the early years of ES (Energy Suspension) bushing in the late 70's early 80" the number one complaint was noise.

Over the years ES tried several things one of which was the graphite in the black bushing. This product made the bushing a bit more costly to manufacture so it is not available on the full line of bushing and after ES own testing they determined it really made NO DIFFERENCE.

However their current lubricant is Marine grade none petroleum grease with PTFE. If applied as per the instruction or to most any polyurethane bushing the grease will prevent the typical noise often experienced using polyurethane product in the suspension. However it is still not a guarantee to stop the noise in all applications and the grease needs to be serviced occasionally to prevent noise and keep the bushings lubricated.
You might want to tell them to update their website then. They still claim that "select" black bushing are graphite impregnated.

Quote:
Question: What is the difference between the Energy Suspension® red and black polyurethane components?
Answer: Both are Energy's HYPER-FLEX™ performance polyurethane formulations. Few of our selected black polyurethane components contain graphite to add a lubrication property. It is not added to the red because black graphite discolors the red polyurethane. Graphite does not compromise our polyurethane formulas.
energysuspension.com | Frequently Asked Questions
NitroPT likes this.
Old 04 May 2017, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
You might want to tell them to update their website then. They still claim that "select" black bushing are graphite impregnated.
I never said that they did not carry them any more.
May be re-read my response a l..i..t..t..l..e slower

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
gas filler neck, rear link bushing