PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Pressure Sender/Sensor Info

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2017, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pressure Sender/Sensor Info

Hi all..just a couple quick questions as my wife's 07 base PT has decided to very intermittently turn on it's oil pressure light - only at low speeds, and again, intermittent at that) but yet the oil level has remained the same, and from doing some reading, I think I understand that a sensor *might* be to blame....

1. Are there two different parts, an oil "sender" and also a sensor, or are they one in the same?
2. Where is/are this/these part(s) on a 2007 (base) pt cruiser? I spent quite a bit of time this morning trying to figure out if I could possibly do this myself, which Id love to do to save money, but I had a difficult time finding any videos online (I'm sure because of the tight area that it's supposed to be in).

If anyone knows of a good spot online to look for info on how to change and/or get to the part(s), I'd appreciate it. Obviously, I don't know for sure that this is the issue but if it is, what I do read is that it is something that alot of folks do on their own. Unfortunately, while I may have some understanding of what everything "does" I've never really replaced much of anything on the car.

Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can provide...
Old 05 Sep 2017, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pressure Sender/Sensor Info

Sender and sensor are the same part. The illustration below shows where it's at on ALL PT's. Some have changed it from over the top of the engine, others from the bottom.

Three links to click-on and check out....

How to replace an oil pressure sensor switch on a 2005 2.4L Chrysler PT Cruiser - PT Cruiser Repair

https://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/...re-sensor.html

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...12555_ds768342

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Sep 2017 at 06:33 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate the links...the video looks to have the air filter removed I believe... if anyone who's done this has any suggestions as to what worked and what didn't in replacing it, I'd appreciate it....
Old 05 Sep 2017, 08:08 pm
Young Cruiser

I just did ours a few months ago and it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. I drove the left front wheel up on a ramp and removed it from below, there was quite a bit of room actually.
The only thing I messed up was the lock for the connector, I wasn't sure which way to move it and broke a small piece off.
If I was to do it over I would recommend looking at another connector somewhere up on the engine to get a good idea about how the lock works.
Also have an oil pan or several rags handy, about 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil run out on the ground.

Good luck.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 06 Sep 2017, 07:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies..
Cat22, how close was it up in the engine when you were underneath the car? Also, what tools did you need - just the socket wrench and deep well socket that I've read about?
Old 06 Sep 2017, 08:02 am
Senior Cruiser

I just did mine last week. Connector was the hardest part. You also can't really see the hole very well. I put mine up on jackstands and did it from the bottom. My biggest regret is that I couldn't find the safety glasses. Don't do this on a car with rust without them!

Tools are (1)a deep-well socket. I hear 27 mm, but I had one of those 1 -1 1/16 ones and it was perfect. Needed to use (2)a screwdriver to move the clip out. It isn't particularly hard, but it is tough to get a good angle with your fingers. Have an (3-4) assortment of extensions. It was too tight to get my (5) 1/2" ratchet right in there and the first extension I tried was too long. My shortest extension (4"?) was Goldilocks.
Old 06 Sep 2017, 03:12 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm glad Fk5 mentioned the 1-1/16 deep socket because I had forgotten the size. A 1/2 inch drive ratchet and very short extension seemed to fit best for me.
I found a can of plastic safe electrical cleaner at the auto supply and that came in handy to as the connecter was full of oil.
Old 06 Sep 2017, 03:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat22 View Post
I'm glad Fk5 mentioned the 1-1/16 deep socket because I had forgotten the size. A 1/2 inch drive ratchet and very short extension seemed to fit best for me.
I found a can of plastic safe electrical cleaner at the auto supply and that came in handy to as the connecter was full of oil.
Good call on the electrical cleaner. I wiped it down because the only thing I had was brake clean which said to "avoid rubber and plastic" If it isn't leaking you probably don't have to change it.

FWIW, the socket I had was a 1-1 1/16. I think it is tapered and designed for oil pressure senders. Not sure where I got it, but it was in my bag 'o sockets. Also, several posts will mention a heat shield with a couple of bolts. Mine had a cardboard tube (think toilet paper roll) around it, covered in that silver heat shield stuff. Looked like something from a kid's Halloween astronaut costume. It just pulled up the wire to let you get at the clip.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 07:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow, tons of good information...I actually am fairly short on some of these tools, as I mentioned I haven't ever taken on something like this before, so I'm borrowing or buying - hopefully the right things - and hope to try to tackle this. To me, it still looks like a pain in the you know what to reach from above, but in lieu of stands or jacks, I'd rather do it that way - I don't think anyone's mentioned what they had to remove to get to it from above - air filter housing and maybe just that?
Old 07 Sep 2017, 07:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

You can probably reach it fine like that. When you buy the sensor, buy the socket a well. You may notice the socket you buy is used. If you keep the packaging nice and clean the socket, nobody at the store really minds of you return it afterwards.