PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 won't start

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2020, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 won't start

Here is a picture of the connector going to the pump. The bottom wire is blue with a red stripe, the next one up is white with a blue stripe and is thinner, the third looks black and is thinner and the top one is black. If I use my Powerprobe and ground either the top or bottom wire and put power to the other, the pump comes on. Also, as an fyi, even with the key off, the top black wire still shows power (9.6 volts).

20201220_115708_resized copy.jpg
rockandroller likes this.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here is the wire diagram for the fuel pump

Attachment 15270

Since you don't have some of the same color wires going to the fuel pump please verify you have the TIPM in your Pt Cruiser. It should be behind the battery under the hood.
Attachment 26833

MODULE-FUEL PUMP - LT. GRAY 4 WAY
CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 Z904 16BK GROUND
2 Z904 20BK/LG GROUND
3 N4 20DB FUEL LEVEL SENSOR SIGNAL
4 N1 16DG/WT FUEL PUMP CONTROL OUTPUT

The Diagram below shows the location of C110 connector

From another member who had the TIPM and had some different color wires then what the manual calls out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterred View Post
Thanks but the wire colors threw me off which gave me the impression I was at the wrong connectors to begin with:

On page 2427 on the 2006 service manual it shows a wiring diagram of the TIPM with dark brown with orange wire coming out of pin 11 C7 for the fuel pump control output.

You can access the wiring from underneath the vehicle, where the harness goes in above the fuel tank. You want to see 12 volts on the dark green/white wire while trying to start.

Page 2691 shows a C110 connector in the underbody that shows the wire going to the fuel pump. The service manual says the location of the C110 connector should be in the lower right side of the engine compartment with dark green/ white wire in cavity #3 on the C110 connector.

Instead ... I have Dark Blue / Orange that remain those colors from the TIPM through connector C110 through C304 (at the front right corner of fuel tank). I was able to establish 12V at C304 between CAV 1 (black) and Cav 4 (which are Dark Blue / Orange vs Green / White as noted in manual).

Now that I verified power to Fuel Pump (at least through C304) there is still no sound of any pump operating. Guess I do need to drop tank after all ugh!
I might have gotten DB (Dark Brown instead of Dark Blue) Time to get new glasses!
rockandroller and dougs like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Dec 2020 at 02:53 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I do have a TPIM.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

At the connector that goes to the pump at the tank I have a thick blue wire with red stripe, a thinner blue wire with a white strip, a thinner what looks like black solid and a thicker black solid wire. If use my Power Probe and supply power and grond to the Blue/red and solid thick black wires, the pump works. I cut the thick black wire and grounded it through the Power Probe to the batter and turned on the key and the pump did not come on. Would it be safe to say it's the TPIM?
Old 27 Dec 2020, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkordzi View Post
At the connector that goes to the pump at the tank I have a thick blue wire with red stripe, a thinner blue wire with a white strip, a thinner what looks like black solid and a thicker black solid wire. If use my Power Probe and supply power and grond to the Blue/red and solid thick black wires, the pump works. I cut the thick black wire and grounded it through the Power Probe to the batter and turned on the key and the pump did not come on. Would it be safe to say it's the TPIM?
I would first check C110 connector to make sure you don't have a bad contacts or bad wires from TIPM to the fuel pump. When the Pt Cruiser sat for a while the critters might have chewed some wires under the car if it was outside.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Dec 2020 at 07:04 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 07:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

First off, there is no fuel relay in the G2's (2006-2010)...the fuel pump is controlled by the TIPM.

There are many posts here about the fuel pump ground going bad, sorry I don't remember the colors...anyway, just find the ground & splice the wires together & ground it somewhere under the car...this always seems to fix the problem.

also, it was mentioned to check the bundled ground wires on each front fender.
One set is is to the right of the airbox & the second set is on the passenger side below the A/C lines to the left of the thermostat.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Dec 2020, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
First off, there is no fuel relay in the G2's (2006-2010)...the fuel pump is controlled by the TIPM.

There are many posts here about the fuel pump ground going bad, sorry I don't remember the colors...anyway, just find the ground & splice the wires together & ground it somewhere under the car...this always seems to fix the problem.

One set is is to the right of the airbox & the second set is on the passenger side below the A/C lines to the left of the thermostat.

The fuel relay inside the TIPM is not accessible like the fuses. The fuel relay is soldered to the circuit board inside the TIPM.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=LionPT;720455]First off, there is no fuel relay in the G2's (2006-2010)...the fuel pump is controlled by the TIPM.

The fuel relay inside the TIPM is not accessible like the fuses. The fuel relay is soldered to the circuit board inside the TIPM. It could also be a bad solder connection in that part of the circuit.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Dec 2020 at 08:28 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's an update. I went ahead and got a used TPIM from Ebay for the exact model Cruiser. I replaced it and did the 12 second pause with the key on before turning off and attempting to start the vehicle. It wouldn't start. I know I have at least 5 gal of fuel in the tank but the gauge is not reading anything. Also I have spark, checked with timing light. Only code getting thrown is a P0499 evap canister vent circuit high.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 04:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkordzi View Post
Here's an update. I went ahead and got a used TPIM from Ebay for the exact model Cruiser. I replaced it and did the 12 second pause with the key on before turning off and attempting to start the vehicle. It wouldn't start. I know I have at least 5 gal of fuel in the tank but the gauge is not reading anything. Also I have spark, checked with timing light. Only code getting thrown is a P0499 evap canister vent circuit high.

If you have a bad ground wire, replacing the TIPM was a waste of money.
I'm not trying to be harsh...it seems like like you didn't try anything we posted above.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost