• 2 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By imickey503
  • 1 Post By dougs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2021, 04:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Multi Function Switch

Hey Y'all!

So, I think I need a new multifunction switch. I was on the way to work this morning when I noticed tiny little whisps of smoke coming from the hole that the turn signal stalk goes into. They eventually went away, and everything seemed to work totally fine. However, once I eventually got to work I noticed that the fog lights would not turn off. To prevent battery drain, I just pulled the fog light fuse, but when I went to drive home, they wouldn't come on again, even after I put the fuse back.

I'm assuming I need a new switch, even though everything else still works. How hard is the steering column disassembly, and do I have to disable the airbag?
Old 03 May 2021, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Multi Function Switch

The MFS isn't that difficult to remove. (1) disconnect negative battery terminal. (2)With a long shaft Phillips screwdriver remove rear steering cover by accessing the connector screws located in the deep bottom holes in the lower steering cover. (3)There is a snap connection on the cover seam, press to separate the two pieces. (4)Once cover is off, removed two top MFS screws and the (5)screws attaching the washer switch to the MFS. They're separate units. (6)Drop column enough to lift MFS enough to access plug. To remove, push red plug safety bar to open. Remove plug. (7)Lift MFS up and out. (8)Remove flasher unit. (9) Install flasher unit on new MFS. (10) Reverse procedure, install new MFS.
IMG-20210504.jpg

IMG-20210504-072856101.jpg
rcktpwrd and dougs like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chromed Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles/guards , PRND3-1 Bezel, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim. Cool Vanilla White shift ball, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry. Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back up Camera, 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 04 May 2021 at 11:31 am.
Old 04 May 2021, 01:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Multi Function Switch

switch isn't too hard to remove and replace. Also not hard to repair the little ramp that turns the fogs on/off, but if you saw/smelled smoke might need to replace the assembly...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 14 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503

As one of the FIRST people to deal with this problem WAY back when I first got my Cruiser, DO this or you will be sorry...
Why? On the 2001 models, or at least till the Body update,

INSTALL A RELAY on the HEADLIGHTS AND FOG LIGHTS.
Or switch to LED's.

All that current is going to the MFS. And let me tell ya, LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS!
Mr. Price of DARKNESS HIMSELF will visit you!

The amount of Current that MFS should be dealing with is rated for just over 5 amps MAX!

I actually emailed LUCAS in England, and they sent a reply to how much current that switch is suppose to take. The Lady from LUCAS told me in no uncertain terms to INSTALL A RELAY.

That will be the SAVING grace for your MFS. Or you will just have to do it over again. You will notice how hot the connector gets. It even melts the PLASTIC connector.

Here is the REAL DIZZY... Somehow? The Headlamps are connected to the ECU. And even if you install a NEW MFS? It may take out the Headlamps.
That's means NO LIGHTS WHILE DRIVING...

Once I had them come on by itself. After I replaced the switch. After that? Nope..

So do yourself a Favor. If you have the early model? LED's? Or use the RELAY.

Also, the Reverse lights? You are on Borrowed time if you have the Automatic. All that current goes through a TINY switch inside the transmission. I have seen them burnt and JUST on the CUSP of not working.

FOr the Manuals? Still not sure where the reverse switch is. But from looking on the forum, many folks with the A604 automatic seem to have this issue. LED's are the simple fix.

Hope that helps anyone in the future.
raeder likes this.
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 15 Jun 2021, 10:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I replaced the multi function switch in the 2006 car back in 2016, when the car was 10 years old and had gone 78,000 miles. My 2008 is now 13 years old and has just hit 100,000 miles, and still has the original switch, and its working just fine. So maybe this was a Gen 1 problem only?
imickey503 likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 07 Jul 2021, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imickey503 View Post
As one of the FIRST people to deal with this problem WAY back when I first got my Cruiser, DO this or you will be sorry...
Why? On the 2001 models, or at least till the Body update,

INSTALL A RELAY on the HEADLIGHTS AND FOG LIGHTS.
Or switch to LED's.

All that current is going to the MFS. And let me tell ya, LUCAS LUCAS LUCAS!
Mr. Price of DARKNESS HIMSELF will visit you!

The amount of Current that MFS should be dealing with is rated for just over 5 amps MAX!

I actually emailed LUCAS in England, and they sent a reply to how much current that switch is suppose to take. The Lady from LUCAS told me in no uncertain terms to INSTALL A RELAY.

That will be the SAVING grace for your MFS. Or you will just have to do it over again. You will notice how hot the connector gets. It even melts the PLASTIC connector.

Here is the REAL DIZZY... Somehow? The Headlamps are connected to the ECU. And even if you install a NEW MFS? It may take out the Headlamps.
That's means NO LIGHTS WHILE DRIVING...

Once I had them come on by itself. After I replaced the switch. After that? Nope..

So do yourself a Favor. If you have the early model? LED's? Or use the RELAY.

Also, the Reverse lights? You are on Borrowed time if you have the Automatic. All that current goes through a TINY switch inside the transmission. I have seen them burnt and JUST on the CUSP of not working.

FOr the Manuals? Still not sure where the reverse switch is. But from looking on the forum, many folks with the A604 automatic seem to have this issue. LED's are the simple fix.

Hope that helps anyone in the future.
Great tips here! A close friend is looking to get this 2001 PT as the next project with headlights and fog lights issues. The owner suspects it's the switch. We'll just finish installing the front bumper and fender flares on the truck this week before we can clear the garage. He's looking to replace the lights with LED's.