Maybe time for NEW ECM SOON... (Help!!)

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 1 Post By rockandroller
  • 1 Post By rockandroller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2021, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Exclamation Maybe time for NEW ECM SOON... (Help!!)

Well, I have been getting P0551 codes for ages now. My local mechanic finally got a chance to look at it and replaced the power steering pressure sensor - which was full of fluid. So that flakey code is gone now ( it ONLY used to show up after I got up to cruising speed of 100kmh)

BUT, ever since we had the record HEAT WAVE this year - a town nearby hit a new Canadian record of 50C (122f!!), and locally we had a whole week of up to 45C (113 f)... well the car has been throwing some NEW codes almost constantly.

1603, 1604, and 0700...
often just "pending" codes but now the 1604 is coming up as a hard code almost constantly.

The little bit of research I have points to a possible source of such codes being really flaky wires in the HARNESS. But also the 1603/1604 codes in particular point to burnt-out ECM in general.

My mechanic is of the opinion that its probably time for a new ECM...

The car is actually driving perfectly at the moment - never had it go into limp mode or otherwise misbehave. But the codes keep coming, even though I reset them with the UltraGuage.

off-topic: I sometimes wonder if the UltraGauge itself isn't causing the problem, because the OBDC connector under the dash seems quite flaky, (loose connections!!) and over the last couple years I have often had to fiddle with it as the UG just loses the power connection from time to time. Oddly enough, it has seemed to be hanging on quite solid the past couple of months - perhaps I have bent a pin in there?

Back on topic: I notice that first thing in the morning ( after the car has had a chance to cool overnight) it does not throw the 1603/1604 codes, and I can drive it quite a while before they show up again.

But has the severe heatwave finally over-taxed the old chips in my ECM, and now they are getting flaky at the normal drive temperatures?? ( the PT is pretty famous for running HOT under the hood - I have even seen one youtube video claiming a computer fix from cutting a vent slot near the top of the hood, to let some of the hot air out!)

ANYWAY, in the event I really do need a new ECM, can anyone explain what's the procedure for getting one, and getting it flashed with correct programming, and SKIM?

I know there was an expert around that many members have gotten the job done by, haven't found the contact info lately.

But in order to get the job done, do I need to park the car for a while and send in my original ECM? And/or some other electronic stuff? Trying to figure out the logistics for this, I do not have a spare car around here, but I will have one in Ontario, where I am due to drive this vehicle to sometime in the next 4-6 weeks or so. (It's a 1381 mile drive, thus the pre-drive checkup at the mechanic this month)

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Old 13 Jul 2021, 01:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Maybe time for NEW ECM SOON... (Help!!)

remanufactured computers are available on eBay for not a lot of money...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+pcm&_sacat=0

forum member myckee is/was doing computer work not sure if he is still active, try sending him a PM.
rockandroller likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 15 Jul 2021, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Maybe time for NEW ECM SOON... (Help!!)

Still active, I found his eBay store. VERY NICE!!

https://www.ebay.ca/str/myckeesecus?...p2047675.l2563

Looking forward to receiving my replacement ECM
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2021, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

New computer landed here TODAY! Putting it in this evening...
Old 20 Jul 2021, 05:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

WOW, life is GOOD!
New computer in: no more codes, smoother idle, and more power
Now I am all set to do my upcoming cross-country drive (2,222 km to my new house)

Big Thanks to MycKee
rcktpwrd likes this.