Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermittent stumble / surge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2021, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intermittent stumble / surge

On my 2006 2.4-liter non-turbo PT, I have been experiencing lately an intermittent stumble/surge. It seems to like to occur under the following conditions: engine was cold-started just a minute ago, I am driving uphill on a not very steep hill, throttle is almost closed. Suddenly it is like the engine is producing no power. Pressing the gas pedal more makes the car actually go slower, but in a few seconds something seems to correct the condition, and suddenly it goes faster. No coughing or sputtering.

Plugs, wires, coil and injectors are relatively new, but the problem didn't occur right after installing them. No check engine light, no codes with the key dance, but I am planning to check with a real scanner.

Recently I have disconnected the battery several times, first to replace the turn signal switch that wouldn't cancel automatically after the turn, then to replace the ignition switch because I started having the occasional flashing of all warning lights simultaneously (which, curiously, liked to occur under the same conditions as my current stumble/surge), and also to improve the grounds (where's the one under the dash, btw? I haven't found that one yet.) I keep thinking these things are somehow connected to the problem, but I'm not sure.

There you have the mystery. Any ideas what is going on or how to diagnose this further?

Last edited by jalve; 30 Jul 2021 at 02:10 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2021, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent stumble / surge

Okay, today I got the check engine light immediately after startup. The code was P1128. Funny - I don't think that's even supposed to be set immediately after startup...
Old 02 Aug 2021, 04:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You mentioned checking the grounds. Under the hood on the 2nd gen PT there are two ground points on the driver side inner fender outboard of the battery and air box. There is another ground point on the passenger side inner fender below the a/c lines (hard to see, harder to get to). If you have not cleaned these up yet... do so.

Otherwise, lots of TIPM issues on the 2006 but check the grounds first.
Old 03 Aug 2021, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did those a year ago, and today tightened the screws just in case.

However, when looking around, I noticed a ground I hadn't seen before. It's on the cylinder head just below the throttle body. It has a spade-type connector that allows the wire to be disconnected. That connector was full of mud. Is this original from the factory, I wonder? I cleaned it really well. Let's see if that makes a difference.
Old 03 Aug 2021, 06:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalve View Post
I did those a year ago, and today tightened the screws just in case.

However, when looking around, I noticed a ground I hadn't seen before. It's on the cylinder head just below the throttle body. It has a spade-type connector that allows the wire to be disconnected. That connector was full of mud. Is this original from the factory, I wonder? I cleaned it really well. Let's see if that makes a difference.
Sounds like what you describe may be the ignition bypass capacitor.
Old 04 Aug 2021, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I looked that one up, and it looks similar enough. What does it do if it has a bad connection?

My scan tool found another code, P0132. I think I've seen it before, but that was some time ago, so I don't know if it was current or stored from those days. But shouldn't disconnecting the battery clear it? Anyhow, I decided to replace the upstream oxygen sensor anyway, and I haven't had any codes yet after that, but it takes a while to see if there's an improvement regarding my original problem.
Old 04 Aug 2021, 08:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalve View Post
Thanks! I looked that one up, and it looks similar enough. What does it do if it has a bad connection?
ignition noise in the radio, especially on AM