Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
can't see level in coolant reservoir/discontinued a/c line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2022, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question can't see level in coolant reservoir/discontinued a/c line

My 2003 Touring has a slow coolant leak. I mostly keep it from overheating by making sure coolant is topped off, because I don't want to put any more $ into it. The reservoir plastic is so cloudy I can't see the level even with a flashlight, so I bought a cheap replacement from RockAuto for about $25, inc. shipping. Trouble is, I can't tell what one of the two connectors holding it in place are(one is a nut , other is a ?) and there doesn't appear to be a YouTube, etc. on how to do it.Anyone have diagram/description that would help?

A/C: No a/c 1st time turned on this Spring. Took it to my shop and they diagnosed leaky line. Diagnosis, charging, putting in new line cost over $600. Second time I turned on a/c a couple of weeks later, no a/c. Back to shop. This time a different leak, in the a/c suction and liquid line(Mopar 507 3557 AB). This is the only a/c line I can't find aftermarket and Mopar don't make it no more.
My shop was ready to hit the salvage yards. I have no doubt good parts can be had this way, but I told them to forget it. There would probably just be another leak in one of the remaining lines, anyway.

Here is the point of this whole a/c story. I called the parts dept. of one of my local Chrysler dealers and the guy was able to check parts inventory of just about any dealer in the country, and one of them had that part in stock (as of a few weeks ago). If you need a 507 3557 AB, call Tillman Motors in Montana(59501) at 406-265-5428 or 406-540-0201. About $250 plus tax and shipping. I would love to grab it but can no longer justify the expenditure. I'll just suffer with windows and sunroof open whenever I need to venture out in the Mid Atlantic summer, which is not often, being retired and still Covid19 wary.
Old 15 Jun 2022, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: can't see level in coolant reservoir/discontinued a/c line

Be thankful it's not a seized compressor and clutch problem. Fix it $$$$ or you ain't going anywhere.
Old 22 Jun 2022, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've already replaced control arm bushings, motor mounts, radiator hoses/thermostadt, radiator fan, tiny light bulbs for dash displays, ignition switch, headlight control on steering column, hatchback lifters, alternator, starter, transmission, and one a/c line that was leaking, only to find a leak in the dicontinued suction line. Screw the a/c. At least the car runs. Did most of that stuff plus head gasket replacement on black 2001 limited I had before some idiot totaled it. Right now, all I want is to replace coolant reservoir on my crappy replacement silver 2003 touring. Reservoir has two connecting points; there is a nut on the right side but the left side is different and I can't get a good look at it. If I just knew what tool to use I could remove it and replace with new clear one so I can see the coolant level.
Old 22 Jun 2022, 10:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So far, I've had good luck with a/c parts from the salvage yard.
I had the same "no part" problem, leak, with the a/c vacuum lines off of the firewall behind the coolant reservoir for my turbo vert.

I was luck to find another turbo vert in the salvage yard with the engine already out. Hood was still on, so less Oklahoma heat from the sun.
Worked fine!
Now these were the aluminum lines, and accumulator/condenser too.
I would think any good repair shop could make hose fittings.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Jun 2022, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Don't recommend it but didn't want to wait, or spend the money. To be honest, didn't know which hose to order. I fixed a high pressure hose. Don't know for sure but wouldn't a low pressure hose be easier?
PS I've never seen the coolant level in my jug. Never cared..

Last edited by circus; 24 Jun 2022 at 11:59 am.