PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
3rd Gear Hard Shift After Changing Transmission Filter - Now Seal Leaks

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2022, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 3rd Gear Hard Shift After Changing Transmission Filter - Now Seal Leaks

Okay, please give me any and all advice.

I changed my transmission fluid (yes, I put the correct amount and type in) and the filter along with it.

After changing the filter and fluid the car would shift into 3rd gear BUT it was a hard shift.

I appears there was enough back pressure to cause the seal between the engine and transmission to leak.

Obviously, I have to drop the transmission and replace the seal.

HOWEVER, just doing that is not going to solve the issue of why it happened.

No, I have not dropped the transmission oil pan yet. I am wanting to get some advice from members.

Could it be the filter is not installed correctly and if so, would that affect shifting into 3rd? (It is ONLY INTO 3rd that shifts hard - all the other gears are fine.)

Changing the fluid and filter were the only things done to the car and as previously stated, the level was proper and the fluid type was proper, so I am thinking that should not be the problem - which leaves the filter.

No, I am not sure the brand (it was from a third party auto parts store, not from the dealership but the filter looked good upon visual inspection).

I am not sure if anyone wants more information but please give me your ideas/suggestions.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 3rd Gear Hard Shift After Changing Transmission Filter - Now Seal Leaks

Was this the first time that the transmission fluid was ever changed in your PT? If not, how many miles were on the old fluid?
Did you ensure that the new filter had the o-ring installed prior to install? The filter can be difficult to snap into place, are you confident that you installed the filter all the way and it clicked into place at all connection points?
rockandroller likes this.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 3rd Gear Hard Shift After Changing Transmission Filter - Now Seal Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meder24 View Post
Was this the first time that the transmission fluid was ever changed in your PT? If not, how many miles were on the old fluid?
Did you ensure that the new filter had the o-ring installed prior to install? The filter can be difficult to snap into place, are you confident that you installed the filter all the way and it clicked into place at all connection points?
Yes it was the first change.

Not sure mileage off the top of my head.

Iím wondering myself if the filter was completely installed correctly as the fluid and filter were the only changes made; therefore, logic dictates it should be one or the other.

If the filter slipped out of place, would that cause the hard shifting into 3rd?

Before pulling off the transmission pan again I wanted to pick the collective knowledge of the group.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

One thing I forgot from my post earlier today is did you do the tranny relearn procedure after you changed fluid?

This is recommended/required after a fluid change. This allows the vehicles computers to recalibrate the shift points based on the pressures and what not resulting from the new fluid. The first post in the thread below states the procedure to follow. Unfortunately, I have read where failure to not perform this procedure can result in damage to the transmission.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...how-avoid.html

Aside from the above, if the filter is not installed properly, it could be allowing dirt or debris into places it should not be within the transmission.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meder24 View Post
One thing I forgot from my post earlier today is did you do the tranny relearn procedure after you changed fluid?

This is recommended/required after a fluid change. This allows the vehicles computers to recalibrate the shift points based on the pressures and what not resulting from the new fluid. The first post in the thread below states the procedure to follow. Unfortunately, I have read where failure to not perform this procedure can result in damage to the transmission.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...how-avoid.html

Aside from the above, if the filter is not installed properly, it could be allowing dirt or debris into places it should not be within the transmission.
I had never heard of this procedure!

Thank you. I guess it could be a combination of things adding up.

I just want to cover all the bases as I donít want to have to remove the transmission more than once.

There should be no dirt or debris - Iím very aware of how sensitive the tranny can be so i was very careful.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 11:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The filter has two fingers that click into place on the trans body as the filter neck (with o-ring) enters the opening. There are three nubs on the filter that align with three dimples on the pan such that the pan helps hold the filter in place. So, kinda hard to imagine that the filter has slipped out of place.

More likely, since you say this was the first ever fluid change (probably at rather high mileage), some dirt has plugged up some passage in the trans. The new fluid acts as a solvent and can loosen up some dirty, gummy old fluid and thus plug things up.

Have never had to perform any re-learn procedure on my PT but the fluid is changed every year (at least the 4 to 5 quarts or so that drain out of the trans). Therefore, the fluid viscosity difference between old and new fluid is probably not enough for the trans to notice it.

At this point a complete fluid flush at a professional transmission shop is probably necessary. AFAIK, if the re-learn thing is necessary, it can only be performed with a dealer scan tool.
Idk of any DIY scan tool that will do the job.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 06:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

The relearn does not need to be done at a dealer. It can be done per the procedure stated in the link I posted previously. You do not need any sort of tools to do it as you are physically driving the vehicle.
I recently installed a Stage 1 PCM and this procedure is required when doing so. It is not that hard to perform yourself and can actually be sort of fun.
WMyers likes this.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
The filter has two fingers that click into place on the trans body as the filter neck (with o-ring) enters the opening. There are three nubs on the filter that align with three dimples on the pan such that the pan helps hold the filter in place. So, kinda hard to imagine that the filter has slipped out of place.

More likely, since you say this was the first ever fluid change (probably at rather high mileage), some dirt has plugged up some passage in the trans. The new fluid acts as a solvent and can loosen up some dirty, gummy old fluid and thus plug things up.

Have never had to perform any re-learn procedure on my PT but the fluid is changed every year (at least the 4 to 5 quarts or so that drain out of the trans). Therefore, the fluid viscosity difference between old and new fluid is probably not enough for the trans to notice it.

At this point a complete fluid flush at a professional transmission shop is probably necessary. AFAIK, if the re-learn thing is necessary, it can only be performed with a dealer scan tool.
Idk of any DIY scan tool that will do the job.
My question would be if youíve ever experienced this personally to know if this would cause hard shifting only in 3rd gear?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 03:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMyers View Post
My question would be if youíve ever experienced this personally to know if this would cause hard shifting only in 3rd gear?
Have seen many kinds of problems with the A604 family transmissions but never personally had a hard shift to 3rd problem in my PT or other Mopar vehicles.

Regardless, since all you did was change the fluid and filter it would seem that the new fluid solvent action may have caused something to loosen up and clog a passage, in this case associated with 3rd gear. The PT transmission is electronically controlled but there are still plenty of small passages that can clog just as in a hydraulically shifted transmission.

A complete transmission flush is a messy diy affair, that is why my suggestion to have it done at a reputable professional shop that specializes in transmissions... ask around, don't take it just anywhere.

Otherwise, have never had to do the re-learn thing myself after a trans fluid change. Apparently a dealer scan tool is required, although the drive it yourself procedure posted elsewhere in this thread may at this point be worth a try.

btw, you never told us what year and model PT, how many miles, and specific trans.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 12:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

One other thought... did you try to manually shift from 1 to 3 and if so, what happened?