• 1 Post By meder24
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser
  • 1 Post By Carl48
  • 1 Post By Carl48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2023, 03:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Combining Motor Mounts and Timing Belt?

My PT's got about 208K on it and is overdue for a timing belt change. It also needs new motor mounts. Do you think it's reasonable to look for a mechanic who is willing to combine those repairs, or at least give a discount on the combo? Per some YouTube tutorials I'm watching, you have to remove all three motor mounts to do the timing belt anyway. But I'm also thinking the mechanics are quoting high just to get rid of me...

As a follow up question, is the timing belt a DIY project? My dad says no. YouTube says it'll take me two days if I've never done it before.

Last edited by SkyCaptain; 25 Jan 2023 at 03:47 am.
Old 25 Jan 2023, 06:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Combining Motor Mounts and Timing Belt?

The center motor mount (large torx screw) can only be changed when you have the timing belt components removed. Replacing the center motor mount could cost extra, albeit not much, since it is only 4 bolts that hold it on. So this one should definitely be done when doing the timing belt.

As for the upper and lower struts, you do have to remove both in order to free up the engine to replace the timing components, so you might as well just go ahead and replace when you reinstall. Since the removal and reinstall of the struts are part of the timing belt replacement process, I cannot see why a shop would charge you anymore to do that work. You would essentially be paying for the parts only.

As far as doing the job yourself, this depends on how handy you are and how comfortable you are in doing the job. There are some good videos online that can help you through the process. I believe most of the videos are for non-turbo PT's. Turbo PT's require a little more finesse as there is not as much room in the engine bay but still follow the general procedures shown in the videos. The key in doing this job yourself is to take your time. As you likely already know from watching the vids, just getting to the timing belt is a chore so you definitely want to make sure you do the job correctly the first time. If you take your time and have general knowledge of what you are doing, this can absolutely be a DIY task. But only you know your abilities and limitations in doing this kind of work. Just keep in mind that anything you do on your own is at your own risk.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 25 Jan 2023, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When SOOO BIG's timing belt needed replacing we took advantage of the engine being raised and replaced all mounts, radiator, hoses, belts, tensioner, water pump, tye rod ends and CVC joints . All needed to be done so it made sense to do 'em at the same time. Sort of like a 90,000 mile enema. Good for another 100,000 miles.
rockandroller likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chromed Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles/guards , PRND3-1 Bezel, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim. Cool Vanilla White shift ball, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry. Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back up Camera, 7" Monitor.
Old 25 Jan 2023, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's what they did when they replaced my timing belt.
All but one mount that I had just changed.
ptprice likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 Jan 2023, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Should not be any more labor to change the upper and lower motor mounts (torque struts they call them) as they need to be removed as part of the job anyway. The center mount can only be accessed with the motor jacked up and the timing belt and associated pulleys removed for clearance. Even so, it is just a matter of 4 bolts (be sure to scribe some lines before removing it so as to get it reinstalled in the exact same position).

As far as a DIY project, it is more tedious than anything. The actual timing belt part goes rather smoothly compared to the job of getting to it and then getting it all back together. Took me total of 25 1/2 hours spread over 4 days but at my age you just don't work as fast any more plus my being too fussy.

There are a number of videos available online... The Motor City Mechanic one (done in 7 parts IIRC) is probably the best... that guy is good.
Give him a look and decide if it is a job that you think is within your ability. Good luck.
Old 25 Jan 2023, 07:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Check this out: