Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help, front end shimmy survey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

I agree with Jeff V. I've had it shimmy only one time, when I had to patch a tire and they had to take off the tire to do so. I told the guy to rebalance it for me, but he didn't. The steering wheel would shake after 40 up until 85. Got it rebalanced the next day, and all has been well.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 28 Mar 2005, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dgranros

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Boomer

Thanks for the comments so far. They did not call it a "feature", that's the term I used. I used to be in the computer industry and when we had a problem we had difficult resolving, the inside joke was to just tell the customer it was a "feature" and see if the would buy it. Of course we never did things that way. But some times it was good for a laugh among ourselves. Some are saying that it's the nature of front wheel drive and others are saying it shouldn't be. I need as many responses as I can get. I've even walk up to a stranger getting out of their Curiser in a parking lot and asking them about their experience. They didn't know what I was talking about.

Boomer

"I was kdding about the "feature" part. I am in the computer industry and that's a standing joke refering to a glitch."
Old 17 Mar 2009, 08:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Please help, front end shimmy survey

I have the same issue,any one else.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another dead post resurrected!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Mar 2009, 09:21 pm
Young Cruiser

At least i searched
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:27 am
Senior Cruiser

The dealer can not fix this problem for the life of them.

Mine had this problem when I first got it 7 miles off the lot.
The shimmy was terrible at 50. I told them I think it was a wheel/tire problem having experience in this matter.

The dealer balanced and rotated 5 or 6 times, without fixing.
One trip to GoodYear and the rims was "out of round" by 5%, enough to make you hate to drive the PT over 50.

AT 30k put new tires on the PT and the problem was lessened but not fixed.

60k miles later I finally had money to get rims put on the PT and problem solved.

Lets be honest, the dealer will not do a damn thing unless you are covered under a warranty with a not normally worn part.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:34 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKole02 View Post
The dealer can not fix this problem for the life of them.

Mine had this problem when I first got it 7 miles off the lot.
The shimmy was terrible at 50. I told them I think it was a wheel/tire problem having experience in this matter.

The dealer balanced and rotated 5 or 6 times, without fixing.
One trip to GoodYear and the rims was "out of round" by 5%, enough to make you hate to drive the PT over 50.

AT 30k put new tires on the PT and the problem was lessened but not fixed.

60k miles later I finally had money to get rims put on the PT and problem solved.

Lets be honest, the dealer will not do a damn thing unless you are covered under a warranty with a not normally worn part.
I am lucky I have it from 15-20 only he said he could drop the axles and let them settle, as it worked in the past, but only a 50% chance, Thank you for your post I will stop worrying about it and enjoy it more,

I needed to downgrade from my BMW and could not think of a better and(cheaper) car to get, Needed the money and still have a almost new car for myself, I need to buy the under seat storage box, anyone know where i can get this?
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

My wife's 2002 Limited Edition did not do it until last year when new tires were put on. A re balance by the tire dealer did not help. Since the problem was intermittent around 60 -70 mph, I suspected the balance was the problem. Took it to the local Porsche race shop who balances my wheels.

Has been running fine for over six months now. PRECISION work makes the difference.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 07:02 pm
Young Cruiser

I've never had that problem with my '03.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just bought a 2001 and have the exact same symptoms described--I would call it an "oscillation" at 2000 rpm, when accelerating from a stop only and more when turning or going up hill. I have just changed the plugs and wires through the great instructions available, though it was a struggle, thinking maybe it was a skip, but I guess it was a combination of things: a skip or rough idle, the "oscillation," and some knobby-sort-of tires. Well the rough idle smoothed out nearly all, and no more surge, used the platinum plugs. (Had to do the multifunction switch too--the fog and bright lights wouldn't work.)

But the oscillation is still there. I was even wondering if it was a transmission thing. But my wife's father is an expert, and over the phone he thinks it may be motor mounts. But they'll probably find something to charge me for--of course it's way out of warranty. He said you could try to diagnose of motor mounts yourself with your foot on the brake and someone watching, but you have to be careful not to run over anyone! BTW, I absolutely love the Cruiser. I may try the motor mount test, and if that's negative, just get used to it. I wondered if it had something to do with a counterbalance to smooth out the 4 cylinder.

FJ 2001 PT, Patriot (Revolutionary) Blue, LE, 98,000 miles, seems to me very high quality fit and finish.