PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Performance Brakes"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2003, 04:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BC4BigMac
Default "Performance Brakes"

What is so "performance" about the upgraded brakes included on the 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo? To be honest, the brakes on my 03 Turbo don't feel any better than those on my dad's 01 Limited PT.

-Adam (18/M/CA)
Old 26 May 2003, 06:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

the discs are bigger, as well as the callipers. The bigger disc adds surface area for the callipers to grip, resulting in better stopping distances. But you are right, they should have cross drilled them and put some serious callipers on. However, there is still a noteable difference[^]
Old 27 May 2003, 04:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, Mr. Mac, I believe that Chrysler used marekting strategy in saying "performance brakes" are included on the GT Crusier. The rotors and calipers are enlarged a lil but not enough to call them performance brakes.

I suggest you get aftermarket true performance brakes. 12 or 13 in rotors and four piston calipers would be ideal. But these calipers will cost you around 1200$ including the rotors. The rotors should also be slotted and not crossdrilled, as crossdrilled rotors tend to crack around the holes over time and the structural integrity degrades. If you look at any race car, you will see slotted rotors now. If the rotors do have holes...they are molded in and not drilled.

Also, the rubber brake hydraulic lines should be replaced by stainless steel lines to get rid of the pulsating effect of the rubber lines induced by hard braking. Braking will be more fluidic this way.

Peace out mac!
Kack
Old 27 May 2003, 01:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Braking is a function of both the caliper/disc and the TIRES. The reason that you don't feel much difference on the GT brakes is the TIRE that DC put on the GT.
The old adage that you cannot be all things to all people is very true of tires. The stock tire will go in rain, snow, mud and fairly well on dry pavement. Check Tire racks ascessment. This is a fairly vanilla not so performance tire.(They put Potenzas at twice the cost on the SRT4.)
When it comes time for a tire renewal; get some performance 215/50 size tires.....then you will see a difference. Also the discs are fairly soft and usually need replacement on the first brake job... a good time to replace with cross-drilled ones from aftermarket and maybe Hawk or performance pads as well..
Old 27 May 2003, 06:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Personally I don't think the brakes (calipers and rotors) need to be upgraded unless you are going to be competing in roadracing events. When I get on my brakes they haul it down right now. When it is time to do brakes in the natural course of events, I will put on some slotted rotors and good pads and do the brake lines but as for swapping out the whole system I don't think it needs it.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 May 2003, 06:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

so true, unless you actually plan on doing road/circuit racing in thie car ( which is kinda rediculous to begin with ) a $1200 dollar aftermarket system could be $$$ used better else where IMHO. For $1200 you could do full suspesion (sways,springs etc), and a bitchin' electronic boost controller and still have $$$ to play with! [?]
Old 28 May 2003, 03:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ture true. But I was suggesting the brake system overhaul not because it is needed, but because if Mac wants performance braking, this is what he will want to get. That is if he has the $$$ to spend. Personally, Suspension should be first, then the brakes, then the engine. You have to have the stopping power to stop all that 'go' power the GT spits out of its 2.4 Litters. You also should have the means to put down that power and not sway the car all over the turns...hence the suspension upgrade.

Just my two penies!
Kack[8)]
Old 28 May 2003, 07:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

for aftermarket brakes, Wilwood, Bear, or Stop-Tech make good systems...[^]