Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"True" Cold Air Intake by INJEN...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2003, 02:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default "True" Cold Air Intake by INJEN...

was installed on this 2003 Nissan "Z Car" as shown in the pictures. Why isn't such an intake made for the GT Turbo which allows cool air in through the front grill?

Old 11 Jun 2003, 04:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary03GT

was installed on this 2003 Nissan "Z Car" as shown in the pictures. Why isn't such an intake made for the GT Turbo which allows cool air in through the front grill?
Probably lack of space. I looked for someplace in the front high enough to draw cold air and not possibly draw water too, but couldn't find any.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Jun 2003, 08:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I haven't taken the time to really look hard yet...but I think the answer lies in a old drag racing trick...remove the batery to the rear of the car (battery relocation kits) to give room to run a cold air duck to the front of the car. I know the battery relocation trick was/is used to get more weight over the rear suspension in a rear-wheel drive car, but it sure would free up space in the PT engine compartment.
Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 08:56 am
Regular Cruiser

In my own personal opinion, the picture of the one in the grill
is a no-no. Yes plenty of air but also what do you do once it becomes water logged and covered with various road debris and bugs?
Terrible idea.
Phil
Old 11 Jun 2003, 10:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I looked at a WRX STI yesterday while taking the wife's Forrester in for routine service and recall (Service Department informed me that I was due a rental car while the recall was done. I didn't take them up on the offer, but remembered the logistical nightmare tha having to leave my new GT 5 speed overnight with a dealer 50 miles away for the clutch recall - Wished my Chrysler dealer would offer that. They specifically informed me that no loaner wouild be provided and their rental car policy was that they would call the rental agancy for you and your dime).

Anyway. back to the STI. The hood scoop is just to cool the intercooler. They also put a spray nozzle in the scoop with a rocker switch inside for misting the air passing over the intercooler for additional cooling. The air intake was connected to a wide and thin mini scoop mounted on top of the cross rail below the hood front edge. It was about 15" wide and 3/4" to 1" high. This led to the air box, and from there to the turbo.

I have seen this setup before, and it makes me think that if I could find a good junkyard to wander through, I should be able to find something similar. It could be an underhood intake system, or possibly the defrost ducting that typically went in the center of the dash and defrosted the windshield from the center, using the same wide and thin outlet that reduces to a 2" duct. I think there would be enough room behind the grille to do this; even if it had to be anchored with wire ties to those wire tie anchors that you can get from Radio Shack that are self-adhesive. They stick on a flat surface and give a place to anchor a wire tie. There is a flexible "curtain" between the edge of the condenser and the right frame near the headlight that will flex enough to allow the 2" duct to either be passed between the condensor and frame, or allow a 2 1/16" hole to pass it through.

It is still in the dreaming stage; haven't really pursued it.

Another thing to consider. On the GT, the air is compressed in the turbo before it goes to the throttle body. The by-product of compressing the air is heat. It is the job of theintercooler and Charge Air Cooling system to attempt to cool it back off before it is actually used in the throttle body for making power. Cold Air intakes on the turbo give primarily offer the advantage of increased air volume. The "cold" air part is more effective in cars that arent turbo charged, and the air goes direct to the throttle body. There may be some benefit, but the major jolly you will get with the CAI in the turbo is the sound and the benefit of increased air volume.

I will probably go with some kind of air intake system on mine, but I am not sure that, if dynoed, it would add the same percentage of HP as it would on a non-turbo PT.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Hyracer. Ducting air up to the intake from the vent by the driving light is going to be the answer, at least for me. It is going to be my project when I get back from vacation.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have always thought that a small NASA duct placed over the drivers side hood ,with a baffle to prevent direct water contamination, would be esthetically pleasing(wouldn't break up the classic lines ) and could supply plenty of fresh/cold O2 for our turbo intake.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 01:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have installed the AMX1397 turbo up kit. I have also purchased a 45 degree bend red silicone 3" elbow. I have it inserted through the cold air access point in the engine compartment right now. I am still attempting to determone a good way to vent up to that point from the vent next to the drivers side fog light. The 45 degree elbow is secure (that reads fits real tight) in the access point, and the hose is soft enough to flex and not obstruct the headlight access panel in the wheel well. It is attached to the intake with a hose clamp where the silicone spacer was. Anyone who is going to do this, it would be advisable to remone the tire or jack the cruiser up high enough to get some working space and removing the headlite access panel. Once the hose is started thru from the top it pulls fairly easily through the cold air access port. Don't try to use a stiff hose though. The silicone is slick, soft, and pliable enough to do the Job. Now I need to get from the air dam to the silicone elbow and figure out how to connect. Purchased the elbow from AGP Turbo web site. [?]

Alan
Old 11 Jun 2003, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well the problem with that system as I have said before is that it is still just a big conical filter sitting in the engine compartment. You are going to get more hot air from the larger surface exposed to the underhood temps than you are going to get through the snout. You need to figure a way to enclose the filter and source cool air to the enclosure or all will be for naught.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 11 Jun 2003, 02:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

I installed a heater duct (new was 6" long x 2" dia, only used 3 ft, from the opeing next to the fog lite to the opening in the fender well had to make one cut on the plastic i have a 2" gap from the fender well to my intake nose. This was on my 2001 and now on my turbo also where the duct turns to go up i put three holes ( punched with a pencel) for any water to drain, most of you know of the rains in south florida and i have had NO water problems the duct bought from advance/discount auto parts for less than 10 dollars I have pic but don't know how to put them on the forum. phil maybe u can help there, amx1397.