Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:...sounds like big time bumber...
That's an [u]understatement</u>!!! [:0] [:0]
Old 22 Aug 2003, 02:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary:
The Mitsubishi engine I mentioned earlier had Jet Valves on each cylinder. They are a 3rd valve that helps evacuate the cylinder after combustion. The parts I replaced were the bullet shaped hydraulic lifters for these valves. When you mentioned the followers, I thought "bingo", there's the problem. Sorry that wasn't the case. I will be closely watching this thread for the results of your ongoing saga. I hope they can fix it.

Steve

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 22 Aug 2003, 02:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:...When you mentioned the followers, I thought "bingo", there's the problem. Sorry that wasn't the case...
They found one "bad follower" which was replaced. All new lifters were installed, but, the noise is still there. Well, there is always tomorrow.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the same problem with my 03 GT w/manual transmission. I'm interested as to what the outcome is. I'm still debating whether I should bring mine in for service. The noise only happens when the engine is cold.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:I'm still debating whether I should bring mine in for service.
Take it in for service now. [u]Do not wait</u>, as I did, because I thought the noise would go away during the "break-in period". No use wasting six-months of your time and money on a car having a problem that possibly cannot be fixed. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum, Treblar......great place to obtain information and share ideas. [8D]
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I spoke with the Assistant Service Manager this afternoon and the parts for my car were ordered late last week and should arrive in the next couple of days. Until then, nothing further is being done since they don't want keep the engine "open" any longer than needed. In short, it appears they are going the replace "everthing" above the cylinger-block including the cylinder-head. They are not sure what the problem is and I was told maybe "something in the engine was not machined properly" and that could be what is causing the noise. Nobody really knows for sure so the"solution" is to replace "everything" short of the pistons, crankshaft, engine-block etc. Needless to say, I am not a "happy camper!" Anyway, don't know if I will get the car back by the end of this week or not--I can only wait and see what happens. [:0] However, regardless of what happens, it will no longer be a "new car" when I get it back! [B)]
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, I feel your pain!! Its never really encouraging to see any kind of technician ( was an electronics, and now a software application tech.) BLITZ a problem. When they get it fixed, nobody ever really knows the WHYs and WHEREFOREs of the actual cause or what actually fixed the problem. I share your trepadation in letting a dealer tear your new car apart, as well as the fact that to you it will no longer feel like a new car. Hang in there dude, I'm pullin for ya. Heres to a job well done by the dealer!! [^]

Alan
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary03GT

it appears they are going the replace "everthing" above the cylinger-block including the cylinder-head. They are not sure what the problem is and I was told maybe "something in the engine was not machined properly" and that could be what is causing the noise. Nobody really knows for sure so the"solution" is to replace "everything" short of the pistons, crankshaft, engine-block etc.

"If the dog has fleas, kill the dog"
Old 26 Aug 2003, 05:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:"If the dog has fleas, kill the dog"
But..."THE DOG"still lives! [img]
Old 28 Aug 2003, 08:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Still [u]no car</u>! The parts needed for the second repair attempt--cylinder head, etc.--have not arrived yet so it will be at least another week or more before the repairs can be completed. I will be picking up the car tomorrow so I will have it for the three-day holiday weekend and return it again to the dealership once the parts are in. I'll be meeting with the GM tomorrow to discuss the matter and determine what options are open to me at this point. He knows I'm not happy with this unfortunate situation and the only thing that will make it "right for me" would be for DC to replace the car with a new one--still, too early for that since the dealership is hoping the problem will be corrected once the additional repairs are completed. If they are successful in eliminating the "mysterious noise" then I will have a new car with a "completely rebuilt engine" --just like the one I ordered from the factory! However, the facts are that I purchased what I believed was a new car but, instead, [u]received a new car with a defective engine</u>--I find this to be unacceptable! [V]

The saga continues... [:0]