Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Mysterious" turbo engine noise...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2003, 11:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Gary03GT, sorry to hear of your trouble. It has me (paranoid?) wondering about the engine in my GT now. It does seem noisy but I know it is inherent of larger 4 cylinder motors, they have always been soundy.

I know you gave a good description of the sound but can you tell me if it was something you could hear from inside the car?
Was it a loud ticking type sound?

Hoping for a speedy resolve for you!!

Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hey gary, sorry to hear about your problems !! god knows i have been there already!! i hope all works out ok for you !!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:I know you gave a good description of the sound but can you tell me if it was something you could hear from inside the car?
Was it a loud ticking type sound?
[u]Except at idle</u>, I can't hear the noise from inside the car. When the noise is present it is usually very noticeable, but, at times, it is "soft" and you can just barely hear it. As for a "ticking sound"--somewhat [:I] but, I would not call it a true ticking noise like a sticky lifter.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 02:04 am
Dedicated Cruiser

My talk with the General Sales Manager at the dealership today was successful! He took back my defective car and next Wednesday I will be taking delivery of a new replacement vehicle--2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (220hp/auto-stick) in a new color--Seamist Green--a bright metallic blue-green. [8D]
Old 30 Aug 2003, 02:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary:
That is great news for you. I hope that nothing similar happens to my GT. I have a few questions.
1. I see you noticed the noise around 6K. How many miles are on your car now?
2. Does the dealership have ANY IDEA what is causing the noise?

Thanks for a reply

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 30 Aug 2003, 11:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

GTSteve:
The noise has been there intermittently ever since I purchased the car on 2/21//03. The dealership [u]does not know</u> what might be causing it, and, agrees with me that "it is not right and should not be there!"
Old 30 Aug 2003, 01:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary:
I only have 1800 on my GT at this point. I am just starting to get the feel for the car. I'm also getting tuned into the sound of the car. Do you know what I mean? Every car has it's own particular sounds. So far. all I hear are "normal" sounds. No clicks, clunks, rattles, squeeks, or whistles. I just hope things stay this way.

I read ALL THE POSTS by others concerning engine noises, steering noises, suspension noises, etc. Maybe I'm being too picky or nervous but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Know what I mean?

On a positive note, my wife and I are heding to Portland, OR today for the big convention and show. FUN, FUN, FUN!

Congrats again on your new car. (although I don't care for green) hehe

2003 Electric Blue GT. Mods - BTG lowering springs, Polished Blane hood struts and hatch strut covers, chrome door handle scratch guards, molded rear splash guards, BTG polished strut tower brace, BTG axle back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter with baffles removed, Royal Purple synthetic motor oil and K&N filter, Polished front and rear sill plates, Chrome \"PT CRUISER\" rear license plate frame, chrome door spear covers, Chrome antenna bezel, Get the BEST detail products from Gary here: http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
See my PT and mods here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289059783

MY EMAIL ADDRESS: stephenlarson@adelphia.net
Old 31 Aug 2003, 01:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:...I read ALL THE POSTS by others concerning engine noises, steering noises, suspension noises, etc. Maybe I'm being too picky or nervous but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Know what I mean?...
GTSteve, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Although the situation with my car was very unfortunate, I believe it was just an "[u]unlucky fluke</u>." After all, what is the chance of a new car coming from the factory with an engine problem that cannot be diagnosed and fixed [B)]???--[u]extremely remote, I would hope</u>! Also, the "mysterious" sound coming from my engine was "up-front and in your face" most of the time [u]when it could be heard</u>. The mistake I made was not taking it in to the dealer after I first noticed it. Enjoy your car and don't be concerned about a problem that very likely will never occur.

BTW, right now color selection is very limited--most of the 2003 models are gone and the 2004 models are just starting to appear at dealerships. I decided that I didn't want to get another Inferno Red GT as I have been "burned" once and no Electric Blue GTs were immediately available. The dealership had just received their first Seamist Green 2004 GT High-Output Turbo the day I was there meeting with the GSM. It was driven out into the bright sunlight for me to look at and I liked it--bright blue-green color with nice "metal flake"--stunning color for a sporty-car like the GT. [8D] Besides, I decided there were "too many red and blue cars on the road" and I wanted something different. I am considering blue pin-striping or outline-flames so as to bring more of the blue tone out of the Seamist Green paint. Think this will work for me.

Hope you enjoyed the PTCC Convention in Portland, Oregon. I had planned to attend but, needless to say, I am "grounded" until taking delivery of my new turbo car next week. [^]
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I can say that getting a new car won't solve the problem at this point. Most of these engine do that "strage sound" all the times. And yes guys, it only happens at idle and lasts, as Gary said, from 2 to 10 min at most before dissapearing. This mostly happens on first start of the day when warming engine or after it has been stopped for at least 4 hrs (cold engine). Most of us won't ear it as normally, after 2 o 3 minutes of warming engine you start moving your car but if you want to make sure your car doesnt have it.. Do this...

At first start up of the day, the very first one, the the car idle UNTIL gets a fan cycle, if you dont hear it before this, you are a lucky owner of a non noise engine. However if you hear it before the fan turns on, hear it until you get familirize with it and dont do anything, you will see it will dissapear right in front your eyes without doing anything. Get use to that sound.

I am a happy owner of a Cirrus LXI 2002 (Sebring sedan in US) turbocharged 2.4lts, and yes, it is the same engine the PT and the SRT-4 have. This noise if ignored wont harm the engine and neither you if you just drive, it instantly dissapears, but if you keep pushing, they will change everything in your engine and the soung will just remaind.

I am from Chihuahua, Chih Mexico, and here at my dealer I got them Crazy with it.. they changed almost everything and guess what??? the sound is there. Bad thing is that I didnt demand for extreme measure to take care of the sound since the beggining and my car now is 1.2 yrs old (bought very late on 02 1 wk before the 03 appeared) and they wont change it for a new car. Anyhow, I will sell it as is and buy a SRT-4 04 which I am still waiting to arrive here in Mexico.

I know a lot about this engines and if you ever need an advice about them, just let me know.

Regards

Luis Barriga
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

BTW, the link goes to a pic of my car drag racing versus a 2003 Corvette, he just beat be me by 1 car, not bad he he he...

If you want to learn more about mex turbos, dont hesitate to visit w w w. t u r b o s m x. c o m

See ya!!