Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'Gurgling' Noise ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2003, 03:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default 'Gurgling' Noise ?

Since I removed the air box baffles, I have heard a 'Gurgling' noise.This is heard when I let off of the gas at low speed, like in a parking lot.I assume it is there all the time, I just can't hear it at higher speeds.I assume this is normal and is just the factory BOV releasing pressure.
Can anyone confirm?
Old 27 Nov 2003, 04:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

I heard that when I removed the silencers also, installed the Mopar BOV last week, can't hear the "gurgling" anymore.

Old 27 Nov 2003, 04:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

This is the sound of un-used boost that the BOV sends into the atmosphere. There is no BOV on Stock GT's so this air is diverted back into the into the engine. This is what casuses the gurgle.

That's my understanding at least.

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same sound. To me it sounds like a "box of rocks" and does it only at low speeds when I let off the gas.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 07:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yup it's just pressurized air being released back into the intake side of the turbo, from when the throttle blade closes.

AC
Old 27 Nov 2003, 11:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Neon Driver is right. Thats the surge valve recirculating the pressue into the clean air chamber of the turbocharger when the system goes from boost to vacum. The first mod I did was to add a BOV to the system in order to keep the surge valve from recirculating the pressure back into the clean air chamber. That fluttering that you hear is the turbulence caused by that recirculation. The mopar BOV will eliminate it not to mention eliminating the extra stress on the turbo impeller and the bearings. This should help extend the life of the turbocharger. Thats my 2 cents....
Old 28 Nov 2003, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

That's what I was thinking ,guys. Thanks for confirming.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 29 Nov 2003, 12:43 am
Regular Cruiser

I hate to tell you this, but......

the sound is not due to the stock BOV recirculating the unused (surplus) boost when the throttle is closed. I got the sound when using a block-off plate and a TurbosXS RFL BOV. The sound you hear is actually the turbine wheel partially stalling. It is only noticeable when the stock intake silencers are removed or an aftermarket intake is installed. I've been told it's due to the sizing of the turbo. I guess Chrysler figured it was easier/cheaper to add silencers than engineer the problem out. I got so tired of hearing it that I re-installed the factory intake with only a K&N drop-in filter.
Greddy Turbo Timer
AGP factory surge valve blockoff plate
AGP/TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV
160 degree thermostat
Magnacore plug wires
Champion RE14PLP5 Double Platinum plugs gapped .050\"
Screamin Demon coil
Momo shift knob
3 gauge pillar pod with Autometer Lunar boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges
Stewart Warner Shift Light
Streamline Designs third brake light overlay \"Turbo Cruzer\"
Rear splash guards
Rear spoiler
Hidden Hitch
Ichiban pedals
Streetglow Xenon headlight and foglight bulbs
PCV line oil seperator
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 215/50R17 tires
PT Tuning axle back exhaust and muffler
Mr. Dyno vehicle performance computer
Pioneer DEH-P77DH AM/FM/CD
Kenwood KSC-WA62RC — The WooX 30w x 2 powered subwoofer
Old 29 Nov 2003, 10:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Well I don't mind the noise, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something damaged.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 30 Nov 2003, 06:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Exhaust Depot

If your cranking up your boost then you will hear alot of compressor surge at low boost. If you replace your factory surge valve with an external bov, you will also hear more surging at low boost being that the factory one cycles quicker.

The best combination is to leave the factory surge valve in its place and use it in conjunction with a HKS or GReddy type BOV. You will notice how the car recovers quicker after a shift.

When you up your boost, you need a bigger BOV which can supply the extra volume of the added air. WHen you drive and shift(5speed), you will feel a slight hesitation, this is due to the turbo slowing down beiing that the stock surge valve cant handle all the extra boost. WIth a BOV< you will notice that the car will not hesitate as much after the shift, this give you better `1/4 mile times, but does nothing fo ryour up in HP.

E.D. 3\" Turbo Back, , HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Greddy E-manage fuel management, Blitz Turbo Timer, JE pistons, Ported Head, E.D. Large Frontmount Intercooler, E.D. Tubular manifold with t3/t4 (prototype), IPP coilovers, Limited Slip.