'03 Turbo Exhaust timing

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2014, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '03 Turbo Exhaust timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I already knew it was out of the pt. Is that what you mean? Tensioner is loose and cover is broken. And even on my computer the exhaust is still off. Intake and crank are on the marks. So I don't get what the hoopla is about. I don't think this is an original belt on this engine. With a bigger picture it would appear that the crank is the one out a tooth. Not that thats a biggie. It's still out of time and would be corrected with a belt change.
"It appears that your timing marks are correct anyway. If you rotate the assembly everything does look as it they are all appropriate for reasonable measurements." All I would assume you meant all three.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Aug 2014, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, to everyone posting, or who has posted. Lets see... first, I am NOT hiding anything regarding my engine. The last owner stated that he had not done anything physically to the engine. So no "advancing or retarding".
Enclosed is a new (though pretty bad/grainy) photo of the engine with a new timing belt on. Does it look any better as far as what you can see? (I gotta get a new potato to take better pics!!!) My mechanic is NOT very familiar with Cruisers (much more experienced with Hondas and Toyotas), and so I'm hoping that nothing was "goofed up" - removed first spark plug to determine TDC, and things (to me) look better, but still not dead on. Thoughts? What should I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a new timing belt.jpg (97.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 12 Aug 2014, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't see anything in the photo. Here is some shots of my first belt that might help you.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...tool-tips.html

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Aug 2014, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for those great photos! Hopefully, we got everything put back together correctly. Installing engine and tranny back into cruiser tomorrow....
Old 14 Aug 2014, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
Thank you for those great photos! Hopefully, we got everything put back together correctly. Installing engine and tranny back into cruiser tomorrow....
Good to take close clear pics of the timing , in case of any question later. But considering the diffrences of opionion on the ones earleyer. I have to wonder what some would post.lol Hope thing go smooth for you.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Aug 2014, 10:13 am
Young Cruiser

if you look at the shop manual it says to get the exhaust cam sprocket a 1/2 notch lower than the intake so that it takes up belt slack

Last edited by RacerX125; 14 Aug 2014 at 10:18 am.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX125 View Post
if you look at the shop manual it says to get the exhaust cam sprocket a 1/2 notch lower than the intake so that it takes up belt slack
. That is some info out there. But in practice no possible. Think about it. The belt or sprocket can't do a 1/2 tooth. That only served to cause me to question the line up in the link I posted. Only because it lined up to good. Everyone said it wouldn't. IMHO is to disregard that part of the instructions. Dead on the marks or it's wrong. Just my 2 cents.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Aug 2014, 03:59 pm
Young Cruiser

I kinda figured something was odd on that manual :S just couldn't believe it.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 01:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

You have 2 choices. Line the exhaust gear with the mark below the intake mark a half tooth or jump one tooth on the belt and line the exhaust mark a half tooth above the intake mark. (The first option is probably the correct one.) This is all dictated by the tooth spacing. Those of you trying to line the marks up exactly are just spitting in the wind. Not gonna happen.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
You have 2 choices. Line the exhaust gear with the mark below the intake mark a half tooth or jump one tooth on the belt and line the exhaust mark a half tooth above the intake mark. (The first option is probably the correct one.) This is all dictated by the tooth spacing. Those of you trying to line the marks up exactly are just spitting in the wind. Not gonna happen.
Actually I did exactly that Brian. I took it back down twice because it lines up perfect. Maybe some other belt manufacturers might be different. But my Gates was dead on. The pictures tell the tail.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com