Advice on PCM replacement

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2016, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Advice on PCM replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrunner View Post
Hey guys so after thoroughly checking my car I sent my PCM to SIA Electronics- repair and return- and they said (Unfortunately your ECM cannot be repaired. The processor on the board has failed causing issues. The processor on this style of ECM is not a repairable or replaceable component). So now I know theres something wrong with my PCM and want to purchase from one of the other ebay online companies. Not saying that its going to fix my problem but still wishing and hoping. OK I have a couple question's. It's a 2004 GT Turbo with a 5 speed manual transmission. When ordering does it matter which transmission I have manual or auto?? Thank you
Yes you will need to specify this. If you use AutoComputerExchange, call them before you buy it and ask all your questions then. They are great folks to deal with.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IMHO I would NOT mention to any re-manufactured PCM supplier what sia reported.
I would carefully read what if any the core requirements are if their is a PCM exchange going to be needed.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Mar 2016, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

But here's the deal. The 2004 GT uses the same PCM hardware as most regular NA 2004/2005 PT Cruisers. So you can buy a good core at a salvage yard for under $50. Then for only $199, Syked ECM Tuning can flash it to a Stage 1 PCM for your 2004 GT with you VIN number already in it.
It looks like you have the knowledge I needed a few weeks ago. I have an 04 Platinum Edition Turbo/automatic. (No GT badge) I have the engine and tranny out. I'm swapping to a 5 speed from an 02 and have added cams, larger injectors, upgraded actuator as well as a BWS turbo. I purchased a DiabloSport to upload a new tune from a tunner. The bad news is that the DiabloSport wont recognize a non GT PCM. The Tuner "Duster360" from Needlesstorque,com has tried to get DiabloSport to add my PCM's cal ID to no avail. I just purchased an 03 PT GT PCM through EBay hoping this can be flashed with my VIN. "Do you know in a 03 PT GT PCM will work in an 04 PT turbo lite?" Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJR View Post
...I just purchased an 03 PT GT PCM through EBay hoping this can be flashed with my VIN. "Do you know in a 03 PT GT PCM will work in an 04 PT turbo lite?" Thanks in advance for your advice.
It is too bad you didn't check here first before you bought that. Has it been shipped already? If not, ask the seller to cancel the transaction. The 03 computer will not function properly in the 04. The 03 GT has a special, 1 year only, PCM controlled, variable speed cooling fan, unlike all of the other PTs which have 2 speed relay controlled cooling fans. As well, the 03 cars had smaller injectors so the mixture will not be correct.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are 2 people that know what they are doing having to do with this subject DanJr. Let me just say is *Duster360 can not solve your issue there is no single member that is not in the business of EFI/ECU PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION on this site that can.

Try contacting and talk to *Keven at
Syked Ecu Tuning | Dodge Tuning Software

The injector sizing has very little to do with workable from a NA,Turbo or GT model PT Cruiser unless the engine is being run at high engine speeds for a length of time. Like a road Track with a long straight or possibly 1/4 runs. This is a bad MYTH that seems to get vendors being able to upgrade to ridiculously large Fuel Injectors and than tell you to have a ECU calibrator scale them to work!

As with all threads like this read these...

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-own-risk.html

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ser-parts.html

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Mar 2016 at 06:21 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would have checked with other companies before considering Sia Electronics.

Reviews for Sia Electronics Inc in Tilden, IL 62292 | Auto Parts
NitroPT likes this.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK guys I was hoping to return with a fixed car but it seems- no I definitely have screwed up something else. Ok so I got my pcm back from sia which they said something was wrong with it and its unrepairable. I found 2 more pcm's with the same part number's as mine and they are with Kevin at Syked for reflashing. Before I shipped them I plugged one pcm up just to see if it will start and of course nothing happened. So today i wanted to move the car over and now it wont start and the security light is on. Using original pcm and ignition keys. (When i received the pcm back from sia the car did function and start as before with same trouble codes) Ok guys so let me have it I screwed up the skim?? or?? What can I do? or what has to be done now? I didnt restart the car after installing the original pcm until today.
I also tried some key in the trunk wishfull thinking from another post with no luck. Edited I started and moved this new problem over to Tech and performance (security light skim reset)

Thanks guys I got it running. I took the pcm back out and one of the pins in the black connector of the harness was pushed back and not making the connection. I was always pushing the black connector in the pcm a little side ways because I was to lazy to disconnect the harness tie strap connected to the pcm bracket. I'm not going to think or look at that car until Sykes/Kevin sends me the other pcm's. I cant explain how relieved and happy I am that the car is running again. Not fixed but running. I will respond back once I try the other pcm to update on my progress and outcome. FYI- I stuck tooth picks in the four tabs holding the back half of the connector to release the cover.

Last edited by jrunner; 18 Mar 2016 at 04:13 pm. Reason: Moved New problem and questions to Tech performance
Old 01 Apr 2016, 01:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey pt forum I'm back to share my results with my problem. I received my reflashed pcm's from Syked tuning/ Kevin a week ago and have driven my pt everyday with no issues. The engine performs like new with no hiccup's stalling or trouble codes and I hope that I don't jinx it by talking about it. So in my case it was the computer/pcm. For me like I'm sure many others have gone through unnecessary part swapping hoping to fix the problem. I couldn't find helpful information when I first started getting the diagnostic codes P0032 & P0038 (both Oxy sensors} and just once P0300. There's plenty of posts but most all never returned to post their procedure to their fix. Now I will gladly go ahead and repair other notorious pt problems that I have been putting off like another wheel bearing. Now she'll finally get a wash & wax. Thanks for all the suggestions and support. Thumbs up for Kevin he has a quick turn around and I called him a couple of times and I can tell that he was working/busy but he always took time out to explain and answer my questions.

FYI: I had a difficult time tracking down a factory pcm from a gt turbo w manual transmission with the same part number as mine. I was able to find a pcm at this web site ---- Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market its a website that salvage yards list parts from all over the united states. Cost was $125 with a 100 day warranty.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by jrunner; 30 Apr 2016 at 12:35 am. Reason: Misspelled Syked tuning company name