Turbo air intake hose cracking

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2016, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo air intake hose cracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Jut wantef to clarify. The hose is really becoming brittle and cracking at the clamp location on the turbo end. Either my turbo is running hot or these are just crappy hoses/material.
Yep. That looks burnt. Besides what's been reported here and on other forums, I've had the privilege to scavenge parts off four other turbo PT's besides being familiar with my own. And I've never seen this problem. But hey, I learn new stuff everyday. And it's possible I may know where a good one is. I can just make it out in this right top corner of this photo I took last month while trying to get a lower pipe for a buddy. If you want, I'll check later this week if I get a chance. Just let me know.

wingman55 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 May 2016 at 05:15 pm.
Old 10 May 2016, 04:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm good. Got the new one in hand. Kinda pissed the new one is made out of the same material as the last one. Sure wish I knew the part number of the original. Pretty sure the turbo end was made out of the same material as the breather box end on the original. This new material just gets very brittle on the heat of the turbo. Probably over torqued the clamp as well. Guess I'll add looking at this to list when I do the oil changes in the future.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 10 May 2016, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Un fricken believable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it is just another member I need PM help off the forum!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 May 2016, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thank you for the e-mail Stephen aka Guito> I had forgotten that I replaced yours as well.

While auto wreckers are a good source for parts and you-pull-it or Pick-n-pull or those type where you get your own parts you can learn how to remove them it is generally not a place to gather empirical data for conclusion of what parts wear. There are just is to many absent variables to assume anything for any standard. The PT Cruisers that I work on are different years and different stages of wear condition for the overall vehicle. These are not all California or garage kept PT Cruisers either.

I just called a friend at *A&R Autotech ask Ron the owner/operator how many he has replaced on PT Cruisers. He said that he can recall about 3 in the last year and that it is something he always looks at when PT Cruisers come into his some. He get about 1-4 PT Cruisers in for some kind of work every month. Currently there are 2 PT Cruises in his shop.

A& R Auto Tech
916-645-1883

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 May 2016, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have seen many occasions were people have had this issue. On three different groups. So it is more common than some believe. Milage doesn't seem to be a factor. I had been suggested how much you boost time play a role. More heat then. Sounds logical.
NitroPT and wingman55 like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 May 2016, 09:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine never had a chance to get old and brittle. I replaced mine early on with some silicon elbows, hard tubing and rubber grommet(s) for the small hoses fittings. I did it to get rid of the pleated sections in the stocker. I know why the pleats are there, I just don't like them.
NitroPT and myckee like this.
Old 10 May 2016, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think we can add ChromerDon and his Dawg to the list of PTer's that changed their intake hose?

If I hand to theorize I would say that the premature cause of many was due to owners that were more prone to get into boost and increased engine and under-hood temperatures more frequently. My personal PT had less then 50k miles when we got it and there was nothing wrong with my hose. About a year later I found the first signs of the deterioration. I replaced mine with a new hose at the hefty tune of 65.00. I may later go the way that many PT modders went like Brian aka 2step and use my own hose system with silicone boots?
I already have many hoses and fitting to make up my own intake system just never got around to it yet. And yes I will post a picture tomorrow it is to late right now. LOL
2step likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 May 2016, 12:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I already have many hoses and fitting to make up my own intake system just never got around to it yet. And yes I will post a picture tomorrow it is to late right now. LOL

I thought maybe I had better take the pictures and post them tonight!

The extra blue hose was intended for the Turbo area because this kit is semi universal and did not have enough hoses for the complete project. At the time I was enthusiastic to complete the the hard pipe systems and purchased the only hose I could find locally for the needs. I postponed building the system after I ran tests on another PT cruiser with the top of the line hard pipe system specifically designed for the PT Cruiser and found zero improvements. But that's another thread and argument among members that bought into the whole hard-pipe hype. At least for a PT 2.4 producing up to say about 300whp.
SPLNeon likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 May 2016 at 12:59 am.
Old 11 May 2016, 07:16 am
Senior Cruiser

What are the symptoms when this part starts to go bad? To be honest I never bothered to check mine. Too much other stuff going on.

As for the hard pipe systems, don't they have to have some rubber or soft parts in the line? The parts are going to move at different rates, especially if your (like most) mounts are bad. The system has to have at least a little give, doesn't it? Even exhausts have a decent amount of wiggle built in nowadays.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
As for the hard pipe systems, don't they have to have some rubber or soft parts in the line? The parts are going to move at different rates, especially if your (like most) mounts are bad. The system has to have at least a little give, doesn't it?
You have to look at it as a system with many parts. The more your turbo flops around compared to the body mounted airbox, the more flexibility you need in the pipes connecting the two. The factory stock set up is designed with quite a bit of softness and allows movement for NVH reasons. It's done for a purpose, namely for a peace, quiet and comfort compromise.

My Cruiser was re-engineered for a different purpose, taking names and kicking ass. The engine torque struts were replaced with firmer ones that don't allow much movement. Thus my airbox to turbo pipes didn't need super flexible connectors. The connectors were soft silicone pieces but not with any pleats for stretching and compressing, etc. So I compromised NVH for responsiveness, traction and robustness. As is usually the case, you have to pay to play, though.
Fk5 likes this.