Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
$5 BUCK BOOST CONTROLLER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2005, 12:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

You won't blow a head gasket. That's false information that has been spread. Stage 3 for the SRT-4's boosts higher than 22lbs. Some of the SRT-4 guys are running 26lbs with no problems. Of course you will not get that high unless you get a bigger turbocharger. I personally have a Boomba BOV with the 19lbs spring in it. In other words, it will hold boost until 19lbs, after that it will open and release the excess boost. My MBC is set to about 16.5lbs boost. If you have an autostick, I won't go up very high. The auto tranny will not hold over 285 ft/lbs torque. It will begin to chew itself up between 285-300 ft/lbs torque. That's why I don't have a map clamp and go up higher in boost. Tommy is working on selling a tranny that will hold up to 500hp and 500 ft/lbs torque.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 19 Mar 2005, 03:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Our little 2.4's are built up pretty darn well. If the big turbo kits boosting 26psi don't blow head gaskets, then we have nothing to worry about unless you start tweaking with PCM, a la, the e-01 system or the powerpaq. Then you had better know how to tune a car properly.
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 07:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Topless in Cali

Our little 2.4's are built up pretty darn well. If the big turbo kits boosting 26psi don't blow head gaskets, then we have nothing to worry about unless you start tweaking with PCM, a la, the e-01 system or the powerpaq. Then you had better know how to tune a car properly.
You took the words out of my mouth! I few guys I know have PowerPaqs and E-01's and they love them! Of course you have to tune it properly, but you can find a point that is a compromise between extra power and everyday driveablity. I would have used a map clamp and been going up to a higher boost range already if it wasn't for the darn auto tranny![V] Guess I'll have to start saving my pennies for a beefed up new tranny. At least it's warrantied to hold up to 500hp and 500ft/lbs torque! Darn, that means I have to get upgraded axles too![B)]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 19 Mar 2005, 11:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

So lets see foget about Stage 2 ot 3 ot 4 or 289....These are enginerred for the turbo and probably has a lot of testin and development in them.....instead go with a brass fish tank valve for a few bucks....
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

maybe when you understand what's actually happening inside the engine, you can open your mouth and comment. until then, unless you just want to shill for expensive parts, why not keep it shut? using a boost controller is a perfectly safe way to add a small amount of HP to the car.

The guy isn't talking about cranking it up to 26lbs, he's talking about adding 1 - 2 lbs of boost to your stock levels. This is something that people have been doing to Chrysler turbos (and other turbos) since they became popular. It's proven, it works, now unless you have a real argument, shut up.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 02:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARKS-GT

IF YOU WANT TO RAISE THE BOOST ON YOUR CAR FOR CHEAP, GET A BRASS BARBED "T" TAP THE PERPENDICULAR END AND PUT A SCREW IN IT. DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE SCREW START AT AROUND .020 SIZE. PUT THE T IN LINE WITH THE WASTEGATE HOSE. THE HOLE IN THE SCREW WILL LEAK AIR, CHEATING THE WASTEGATE TO GENERATE HIGHER BOOST. IF YOU WANT MORE BOOST WORK YOUR WAY UP ON THE HOLE SIZE. I WOULD RECOMMEND USING A BOOST GAUGE. WHAT I USED TO DO IS HAVE SEVERAL SCREWS WITH DIFFERENT SIZE HOLES IN THEM AND SWAP EM FOR MORE POWER.

IM NOT SAYING THIS IS BETTER THAN A BOOST CONTROLLER BUT FOR AROUND FIVE DOLLARS YOU CAN UP YOUR BOOST REALLY EASY.
First, he is recommending that you use this in conjunction with a boost gauge. More boost in and of itself is usually not the cause of headgasket problems, it is poor tuning and eventual predetonation caused by a lean condition that will blow headgaskets and engines.

Second, per his closing line, he is not saying it is better than a boost controller. The essence of "hotrodding" traditionally is taking something and adding to your car for more performance, be it a bigger engine, turbo, whatever. I think just the idea of a $5.00 mod scares people but it should be safe if you watch the boost gauge and don't overdo it.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 21 Mar 2005, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey!!, I didn't know this subject would get everyone so bent out of shape. All I wanted to do is up the boost a little. No big deal. I was pointing out turbo cars are built to withstand boost to a certain point, lower compression, hardened crank, rods and so on. I know if you go overboard you can run into problems, everybody knows that. Basically I not telling anyone to do anything that they are not comfortable with. My idea is just a cheap way to raise boost. Thats all.

So have fun with your car, do what ever you like to it, just as long as the ricers are in your rear view![8)][?]
Old 21 Mar 2005, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

By the way, the orifice deal with a .020 hole. You are right most people don't have a drill that small. I own a machine shop and have drills down to .004 . So this is a really easy thing for me to do. Other people may have a harder time to make one of these.

Mark
Old 21 Mar 2005, 06:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Hey!!, I didn't know this subject would get everyone so bent out of shape.
It was a slow week last week.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 23 Mar 2005, 04:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey..Crazyjoe...I have owned four turbo cars from Chrysler since 1987....So WHY DONT YOU SHUT UP.....When I want your opinion...ILL GIVE IT TO YOU...