PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Chrome Wheel Center Trim Cap Corrosion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2007, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 Chrome Wheel Center Trim Cap Corrosion

My 04 GT has lost 2 of the Center Trim Caps on the stock 17 inch wheels. The spring clips are still there but the discs are gone. The wheel cavity is full of salt and corrosion. The car has been through 3 winters. Has anyone else had this problem? I can imagine what Mopar wants for replacements. My wheels look like a science experiment in Gavlanic Action.
Old 01 Feb 2007, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hi, i havnt heard of this problem, look for them on ebay maybe there is some on there a dealership would be the last place i would try
Old 02 Feb 2007, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, I've seen posts on this- not lately, but I've seen more than a few.
The spring clips are steel, which corrodes where it meets the cap. I think (but trusting my memory is not good) that caps were at least $20@ from dealer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Feb 2007, 02:33 am
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mtnbktrek

my center caps broke when i got new rubber. i got my tires at sears and they replaced them for free. they said they cost about $30. i also had the 17's
Old 03 Feb 2007, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know where you get them and how much you get them for
Old 03 Feb 2007, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No luck finding any on the net. I don't want any used caps. Evidently the dealer will get my cash. However, I intend to do my best to preserve the new ones with Zinc Chromate Paint and prevent this again. I will be capless next winter.
Old 04 Apr 2007, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update Info. I wrote a letter, including photos, to Chrysler Owner Relations. They called me today. The lady couldn't understand why my hubcaps were corroded. She told me to remove my wheel covers and wash them out. I attempted to explain about center trim caps and what had occured with all the corrosion. No comprehension...She told me that she didn't drive a Chrysler product but had brake dust issues with her car. At that point I realized that I was attempting to match wits with someone who was only half prepared. I gave up and ended the call. Still looking for replacement caps.
Old 04 Apr 2007, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

good luck,, not surprised with the call from chrysler not the brightest people there