PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 GT Turbo Suspension Changes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2008, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 06 GT Turbo Suspension Changes

Just over a year ago I bought my wife this PT and have done nothing with it. I am now ready to upgrade some of it. Everything is original factory now. Almost a year ago someone suggested front and rear anti sway bars and a stiffener under the hood attached to the stut towers. Anyone have any suggestions on brands, part numbers and vendors? I want to make driving it less scary.

Last edited by jayguliano; 02 Mar 2008 at 05:05 pm.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 GT Turbo Suspension Changes

I've also got a 2006 PT GT. I recommend the Mopar Stage 1 front and rear sway bar kit. I installed the Eibach kit, but switched it out for the Mopar kit, which was slightly better at limits.

Stay away from the Eibach rear sway bar install kit. Its a waste of money. Mine would never fit right, some of the bolts were not properly threaded, and this kit requires you to cut the inside plastic fender guard to allow the bar to fit. The Chrysler install kit installs much more easily and doesn't require any cutting.

BTW, I still have the Eibach sway bars, if you're interested.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mopar sway bars better? I thought the Eibach's were supposed to be great. I was about to order them.
2003 PT Cruiser GT (Bright silver)- manual, K&N FIPK Gen 2, Mopar performance wires, Champion Iridium plugs, Mopar BOV, Stage 1, AB Eintz 18 x 8.5 rims (Euro-chrome finish), Falken 452 tires, KONI Yellow adjustable shocks & struts, 1.5" lowered front & rear, Magnaflow cat back exhaust

2005 PT Cruiser GT Autostick also bright silver (Wife's car. K&N drop in & air box mod).
Old 16 Mar 2008, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For MOD items check out www,raceandstreet.com Maggie offers great prices as well as customer satisfaction. Her website offers many items.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think the Mopar and Eibach bars are nearly comparable, but the Mopar bars virtually eliminate understeer at the limits. The Mopar bars also fit a little better. They are bent a little differently, which is only apparent when you put them side-by-side. With the Eibach bars, there is still a little understeer, probably due to the fatter rear bar. For everyday driving, though, they're both good bars. It really just boils down to personal taste.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply yellowruby.

Are both the Eibach & Mopar bars priced the same? And are they easy enough to install myself or should I get my local racing shop to install? (they said it would only cost about $75 for install.)
2003 PT Cruiser GT (Bright silver)- manual, K&N FIPK Gen 2, Mopar performance wires, Champion Iridium plugs, Mopar BOV, Stage 1, AB Eintz 18 x 8.5 rims (Euro-chrome finish), Falken 452 tires, KONI Yellow adjustable shocks & struts, 1.5" lowered front & rear, Magnaflow cat back exhaust

2005 PT Cruiser GT Autostick also bright silver (Wife's car. K&N drop in & air box mod).
Old 18 Mar 2008, 07:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Eibach is better; though I imagine it comes down to preference. One thing for sure - Eibach is better looking in red. Now installation is something else. I've had mine for 4 years now and forget specifics, but with the Eibach you had to buy an additional kit which included bushings and things of that nature. The front sway bar is easy. The rear can be a huge pain in the ass (and imagine the same with Mopar). One thing for sure, you do NOT have to cut or shave any part of the PT for installation. Do a search here on the forum for the installation of the rear sway bar (go back a few years) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Moving forward, in response to the original thread, sway bars (front and rear), lowering springs (if you don't mind a harsher ride) will DEFINITELY change the handling (prob. the most), and the strut tower bar is questionable in its need (but it looks good). As mentioned, I have Eibach sway bars and springs, and BTG (PT Tuning) strut bar. I will say this, the difference after making changes is night and day. Your concerns about "safe driving" will be alleviated instantly.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Stage 1 sway bars cost about $100 more. I really wanted a more neutral feel than the Eibach bars provided. Mopar cranked up the front stiffening with a fatter front bar and skinnier rear bar compared to the Eibach, which is what I was looking for. You can take turns with closer to the same angle of attack as a rear wheel drive, whereas I found that I had to dial back a little with the Eibach. Again, its a matter of personal preference and driving style.

Whether Eibach or Mopar, installing the front bar is really easy. You don't even need to remove the front wheels. Just roll it up onto ramps and its a bolt-in deal. The rear bar is another story. Its more or less also just a bolt-in, but I could not get the clamps that came with the Eibach kit to properly squeeze the bushings into place over the rear axle. The Mopar kit uses a two-piece clamp that you squeeze together before putting the bar onto the axle. Even that took a while to figure out, as I had to use Vise-Grip pliers to squeeze them together and bend the tabs properly. Took me all afternoon. Not difficult for an average mechanic, but not a simple bolt-in procedure.