PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
16 vs 17 inch wheel replacement - Help, please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2008, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 16 vs 17 inch wheel replacement - Help, please!

Need the same advice here...
My wife has the same issue with her chrome plated GT rims. She has an 2003 Black Turbo GT with the stock 17" chrome plated rims and they have been slowly deteriorating over the past 2 years. Now they are entirely peeling. The lip that seals the tire looks terrible. I have gotten into countless arguments with the dealership manager about why these rims aren't a defect and covered by Chrysler. Anyway...after many many bead sealer attempts by the local STS I now have to spring for new rims and tires. I have given her my car for the past week as I have to fill two tires with air every morning before I leave for work.
I would like to put 15 or 16" rims on her GT with a larger tire to protect her from pot holes. She hits them like its her job. I eyeballed a non-chrysler 15" rim on there today to get a rough idea if the rim will clear the caliper and tie-rod end and it looks very tight especially near the tire-rod.
Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (price) rim and tire package that will a.) fit her car and b.) give as much rubber between the rim and the road?
I need these rims to last and not fall apart on us. Any links would be greatly appreciated...and if you have them on your car a pic will help in convincing her. I'd like to spend under $125 per rim...and willing to spend the money for a good all season thick tire. I would prefer the rim to be silver painted/powdercoated or even hyperblack. No Chrome.
Any ideas? Already tried sears and they won't put anything but a 17" or larger on her car.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

bump
Old 25 Nov 2008, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am able to find 15's & 16's on TireRack thru the winter tire package prompts.
All the 15's say 35mm offset.
I'll probably call them and order the 15" rims and have them match me up some good all season tires on them (195-65-15) I want the most meat between the rim and the pavement.
I just need the overall diameter of the original 17" rims with tires to match the overall diameter of the 15" rims + tires so I don't have to change the speedo calibration.

Anyone have any opinions about the above?

How about any opinions about Anthracite Painted rims on a black pt cruiser (with purple factory flames)?
Old 25 Nov 2008, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ03Turbo View Post
I am able to find 15's & 16's on TireRack thru the winter tire package prompts.
All the 15's say 35mm offset.
I'll probably call them and order the 15" rims and have them match me up some good all season tires on them (195-65-15) I want the most meat between the rim and the pavement.
I just need the overall diameter of the original 17" rims with tires to match the overall diameter of the 15" rims + tires so I don't have to change the speedo calibration.

Anyone have any opinions about the above?

How about any opinions about Anthracite Painted rims on a black pt cruiser (with purple factory flames)?
If you like the look, the anthracite will have the added bonus of not showing brake dust (if you still use stock brake pads).
There are sites - I think tire rack has one - that have a "tire calculator" to show what different tire sizes would do to speedometer.
Sears can be idiots about stock - they weren't going to sell me tires with a lower speed rating - as if nearly any tire wouldn't be better than the good-for-a-years - I said I wasn't going to cruise at 118 mph....had to argue, but finally got my tires from them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Nov 2008, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
If you like the look, the anthracite will have the added bonus of not showing brake dust (if you still use stock brake pads).
There are sites - I think tire rack has one - that have a "tire calculator" to show what different tire sizes would do to speedometer.
Sears can be idiots about stock - they weren't going to sell me tires with a lower speed rating - as if nearly any tire wouldn't be better than the good-for-a-years - I said I wasn't going to cruise at 118 mph....had to argue, but finally got my tires from them.
Yeah, thanks for the reply.
I was playing with the tire calculator on Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
This calculator is great b/c you can compare tires. I used this when building my vette to maximiz tire width to 11.5" on my rims. Awsome tool.

I'm a fan of the darker rims b/c of exactly what you said...less visible brake dust and road grime but I don't like the look of black rims on a black car. If I could find graphite or matalic grey I'd be all over them.

I can't find an exact match to the stock tires (205-50z-R17) of 25.07 overall diameter with 829.6 revs per mile, but the closest I can come is the (195 -65-15) with a 24.98 overall diameter and 832.6 revs per mile. The 195 gives me 4.99" of sidewall height which is about an inch more than stock. Works for me.
Just afraid of having clearance issues with the 15" rims with the tie rod end.
We shall see.