PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
power steering low pressure hose blowing off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2011, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: power steering low pressure hose blowing off

The first time it blew off after the radiator replacement they said it was a "Bad Hose Clamp", so they put the hose back on and put a heavy duty clamp on. That lasted 8 days and it blew off Saturday. I went in this morn before they even took the car in a raised hell about it. They are 100% sure that it was just some oil or some slippery substance left on the metal section of the line under the motor. So they flared the end of the pipe so it wont be so easy to slide off this time. If it blows off again, I am just going to take it to another shop and have it looked at. The service rep this morning was treating me like I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about when I was saying there shouldn't be hardly any pressure in that line, especially not enough to blow it off. I also told him that now the pump whines a bit all the time and is real loud on first start, especially when cold, but he told me that it sounded fine and that even tho its been run 5 time now without fluid that its still perfectly fine and he didn't hear it being louder that any other he has heard. I told him to run mine next to the 09 PT rental I had and he would hear the difference. He proceeded to tell me thats like comparing apples and oranges. Well Mr service idiot, If you knew anything you would know thats its a similar 2.4L motor and it the SAME pump that is in mine. I am done with Nemer Chrysler in Queensbury and would hope that anyone in this area who reads this would avoid them too.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi there, I was wondering if u ever figured it out. My car is doing almost the same thing right now. I just had a timing belt and water pump(as well as many other parts) installed at the dealership and it never leaked coolant before it was leaking ps fluid originally.
Old 02 May 2012, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ill chime in on this. I have a 2001 Grand Caravan. One day it decided to blow off its Power steering hose at the cooler. So I figured I would put a new one on. They wanted to sell me the whole cooler unit because that is how it is sold. I said no.
I went and got some gas rated hose and put it on. 2 weeks later it shredded. Too much pressure. But its was a return hose so what is with that? On my van it is the stupid location that is likely the big problem. the hose has to bend in a 120 degree angle in a short distance..
I went and got some funky grey hose rated for a higher pressure and put it on and so far it has lasted for 3 years.
Moral to my story is try another type of hose or go some where else.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 05 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They ended up replacing the radiator saying there was to much back pressure.
Old 05 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

my question is how do they keep blowing off ??? if the hose is new it should be solid
Old 06 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There was to much back pressure in the line going into the radiator, that's is where it was blowing off. once they replaced the radiator and flared that metal line under the engine it has not blown off since.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

having the same problem, i put in a new hose myself sometimes to save money, last time it cost us $450 dollars, but it came off again, sometimes the hose would just bust, i have a pt cruiser turbo engine gt, so if you solved your problem yet, i would be glad to here how you did it
Old 08 Apr 2013, 06:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

My hose burst and I am replacing it. Replacement only $75. Getting the end disconnected from the pump was fairly easy. Now my problem is reaching the rack to disconnect that end. Does any one have a trick or know a best approach for reaching this? I can barely get my hand and wrench in there but have no viability since the return is in the way.

Though folks?
Old 20 Feb 2015, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Very interesting reading. I seem to be having this same issue for a second time. The cold seems to bring this on for me. Time to look for restriction in the cooling line that run through the radiator itself.
Old 02 Mar 2015, 07:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

My Cruiser has been whining for a short time when first started in extreme cold. I also lost my power steering assist during a spirited run one morning. I think the return hose collapsed under a vacuum, it later recovered.

As soon as we get some warm weather, I'm going to remove the reservoir, clean the screen and flush the system.

Here's a couple of interesting threads on the subject -
one with good pictures:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-steering.html
one with a simpler screen cleaning method:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...reservoir.html

Tags
hoses, power steering, pump