PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
... rear axle lateral adjustment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ... rear axle lateral adjustment?

... I lowered my 2003 GT with BTG springs, struts and shocks, probably about 1 1/2" in the rear. When I changed the wheels for more positive offset I noticed that the drivers side rear tire sits about 1/4" further out past the body wheel-well lip than the passenger side tire which is about 1/4" inward from the same point on that side, for a total of the axle being nearly 1/2" off-center. Car only has 9K actual miles and never wrecked or bumped, I ordered and bought it new in 2002 and it's never been molested!

When the suspension is lowered do we need to adjust the watts linkage to re-center the axle in the car? Anyone ever adjust the length of the watts rods to try and correct this off-center problem? Anyone notice this on theirs? Anyone think of an adjustment that might center the rear axle up with the body.

I can't seem to find the correct procedure for this adjustment, if any, manual says don't adjust but I suppose that's meant for OEM ride height. Does this need adjustment when our suspensions are lowered. I would think the car wouldn't track straight with the rear axle offset. Plus I'm very particular and just feel like it needs to be right, kinda looks like the tire could rub the fender lip if pushed real hard cornering. Anybody else ever try to correct this?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: ... rear axle lateral adjustment?

Unfortunately there is no adjustment. In my car I just used the dremel and made the watts link's bracket hole a little longer ( the one by the the fuel tank )
I'll be doing the other side later, but that one I would need to remove the welded nut first
Old 14 Jul 2011, 02:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: ... rear axle lateral adjustment?

9k miles, on an 03??? I'd be concerned about seals being dried out from sitting all the time.