PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strut Tower Brace

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2012, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Strut Tower Brace

2005 S4 Dream Cruiser: OK I give up! I am adding a KW V1 system and want to top it of with a strut tower brace. I was told by many that the BTG brace was the best, but I can't find them anywhere at any price ( I think the company is not around any more?). So I need a plan B; who makes the second best brace?
Old 23 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm
Banned

Default Re: Strut Tower Brace

I have pondered this too.

I see them advertised, but they are pricey, and have never ordered one.

I do know frome experience buying for my pt, just because its advertised doesnt mean its available.

I know alot of people here bought one from a group buy for like 3 dollars.

I have my GT with lowered with the Eibach lowering kit and rear sway bar along with new struts/shocks.

I was told I wouldnt notice that much by installing one with what I already have one.

I love taking the high 5 ramps in Dallas here at over 100 mph and it sitting steady and tight on the road where others have to slow down due to body lean. I have virtually none, so I dont know how much more tight it could get. lol
Old 29 Feb 2012, 02:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

There is a NA brace available on ebay here: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

You would need to modify the solenoid bracket to use this which is a lot cheaper that trying to find a turbo brace with the bracket made. I have a diagram of where to trim the bracket it you decide to go this direction I believe.

Oh, and I have no connection to the seller of that brace, just thought I would show it to you
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 14 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Try this link Braces and Struts
Old 14 Mar 2012, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I also think the BTG brace is nice, but way too expensive. After installing the brace in my vert, I noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement in handling! So, guess I don't need to spend that much money.

Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Strut brace, F, Chrysler PT Cruiser 2000>; polished stainless steel: Freedom Design

Try this. i have this installed on my pt and it has worked wonders. its all stainless steel and very easy to install. worth the money in my opinion.
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
There is a NA brace available on ebay here: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

You would need to modify the solenoid bracket to use this which is a lot cheaper that trying to find a turbo brace with the bracket made. I have a diagram of where to trim the bracket it you decide to go this direction I believe.

Oh, and I have no connection to the seller of that brace, just thought I would show it to you
Wooowww!!!! I got that same one couple of years ago from eBay on special for $20.00!!! Is ver expensive now weird!!
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I got a strut brace for 20 bucks as well.. I sanded it and painted it red and it looks sexy! Handling was way improved! The onlything ive ever done that improved my ride this much was installing booger bushings!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 15 Mar 2012, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Listen, first DO NOT BUY FROM CRUISERMOTORSPORTS! Second, the cheap strut braces you see on ebay, they are a knock-off of the Freedom Design's strut brace just like mine.

However, if you have a turbo PT, don't buy the turbo strut brace that is so much more expensive! There's an easy and simple mod that you can do to the mounting bracket of the NA brace that makes it work on the turbo models. I've posted a photo tutorial on this here on the forums. Takes a drill and a hacksaw, and about a half hour of labor to get it done.

Last, the refurbished one's shown in ebay, I'm wondering what on earth is refurbished? It's a bent pipe with two brackets, one welded on each end. So what would they refurbish??? I'd ask that question before anything else. The only thing you need to worry about with the Freedom Designs, and knockoffs, is the welds to the mounting brackets at each end.

I can tell you this - I've got a convertible and everyone kept telling me what a difference that strut tower brace would make. I didn't really believe it all that much but I got a good deal on mine and bought it, went to a Cars & Coffee show and afterwords went up the Tail of the Dragon with a Tennessee Corvette Club. OMG did that brace make one heck of a difference! Sway was reduced magnanimously, body rotation almost disappeared. The one thing negative that it does do, which really is no fault of the brace, is it allows you to FEEL the amount of push these fat bodied cars gives out in the corners.

After making that run, I went and bought some alignment shims and had all 4 wheels aligned while adding in just a tiny bit (half a degree) of negative camber. OMG now it literally is like riding on rails when I go into a corner.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

grrr you guys gotta stop posting about all these cool things. I can't afford to buy them all.