PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeaky Rear Sway Bar

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Squeaky Rear Sway Bar

Well after an all-day attack on the squeak, it turns out it didn't have anything to do with squeaky bushings at all.

1. I took the links off, re-lubed, and re-installed with 21 ft-lbs. Went down the curb of my driveway: SQUEAK

2. Disconnected the rear sway bar completely. Went down the curb of my driveway: SQUEAK

3. Completely removed my Watts-Link. I know this is dangerous, which is why I just went down the curb of my driveway. SQUEAK

4. Getting real tired of this s#@t, I sat and thought (crazy, right?). I thought back to when I first installed my sway bar. I remembered that I also replaced my rear shocks at the same time. But that couldn't be the problem, right? They were brand new! Well, I removed the driver side shock (1 at a time to eliminate the cause) and went down the curb of my driveway: SILENT BLISS

I couldn't believe it. I bounced the shock up and down by hand and heard the dreaded squeak that had been plaguing me for months.

So Busted and randyincctx, I apologize for not taking your recommendations seriously

So its off to the parts store to cash in my warranty
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Squeaky Rear Sway Bar

I think I might have mentioned the rear shock earlier....LOL;I mainly mentioned it because I had an annoying squeek,and when I finally tracked it down...YUP,the upper bushing on the right rear shock!.....Glad you found it;Now kill it with lube!
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
YUP,the upper bushing on the right rear shock!.....Glad you found it;Now kill it with lube!
No it wasn't even the bushing! lol It was the shock itself! A squeaky valve I guess. I put it on the floor and pushed down and heard the squeak. Never seen that before, especially for a brand new shock!
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Squeaky Rear Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
No it wasn't even the bushing! lol It was the shock itself!
WTF?;When you pushed down did they return up?....And do you know if they have lifetime warranty?(most new shocks do.)
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes it did come up, just squeaked lol, and yes im returning it tomorrow for a replacement
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Have you disconnected the links to the pt and drove it?
Quote:
Wow that stopped the squeak alright! But the car seems to lean a bit more in the corners now
Imagine that! Wow and yes more info we didn't get. But Lessons learned. Always check the things you have done when you run into problems after work is performed. All of them, not just the one we believe are at fault. It's also best if we don't blow of good sound diagnostic advice because we think we know what we are doing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 04 Aug 2013 at 09:57 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Imagine that!
Yes yes, I'll listen to the wise old owl next time
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yes yes, I'll listen to the wise old owl next time
It is good that you explained what you did to find it . Especially for those lurkers who never join but come here and search for answers. And those in the future who may find your new experience to be their answer.
InfernoGT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Aug 2013, 10:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Squeaky Rear Sway Bar

Quote:
im returning it tomorrow for a replacement
You can(and should!)take BOTH rear shocks back,I had one of my lifetime shocks go out,and Pep-Boys understood when I said I needed to replace BOTH rear shocks.....Because it's common sense that you should always replace in pairs.(front/front or rear/rear)Because it can cause poor handling......I bet they won't give you ANY grief if you take BOTH,and tell them it's 'unsafe' to replace just one shock.(since both are under warranty)
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 10:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
You can(and should!)take BOTH rear shocks back,I had one of my lifetime shocks go out,and Pep-Boys understood when I said I needed to replace BOTH rear shocks.....Because it's common sense that you should always replace in pairs.(front/front or rear/rear)Because it can cause poor handling......I bet they won't give you ANY grief if you take BOTH,and tell them it's 'unsafe' to replace just one shock.(since both are under warranty)
Well I would but since they are literally brand new and have a lifetime warranty, I'll be okay replacing just the one. They do ride very well, and if a brand new, out-of-the-box shock squeaked, who knows what I could get if I replace the one that's already doing an admirable job