PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why no rear swaybar?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2013, 11:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why no rear swaybar?

Brian one of these days we will talk shop on the cell and I will give you a little more insight what my testing was and actual data.

The great thing about being semi retired is being able to do stuff when I was working did not have the time to do.

"The purist experienced in building track performing suspensions use sway bars in the last step in setting up and tuning a performance suspension system".

If one digs deep enough one may find an old Chrysler corp. memo about the elimination of the rear sway bar pertaining to NVH.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Dec 2013 at 02:24 am.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 03:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I went and carefully reviewed all my data having to do with the factory rear sway bar. I re-read a few threads about sway bars and responses that claimed feeling a difference. I overlooked one important condition that I did not consider while replying on this thread. Many PT owners have the front 24mm sway bar. Not the upgrade or Turbo front sway bar that is 26mm. **So if you install a factory rear 15mm sway bar you would increase the front stability by about 6.5% rear 18% or if the front was factory 26mm then the increase adding the 15mm rear sway bar would be aprox.9% front.

I suppose for arguments sake some might have felt the difference in the handling, but IMO it was more due to the improved steering characteristics and not so much the slight anti-body roll increase.

By using a skid pad you can accurately record the entry degree of body roll by setting a zero delta area at both entry and exit areas of your test skid pad or circle. By repeating the test in both clockwise and counter clockwise application you can record the effectiveness of the sway bar in both directions. The results will not be the same in both directions because of driver weight on the left side of the car. You can adjust this with by balancing all four corners.

I realized reading my test notes that the 2002 PT cruiser rear axle we cut may have been a mid or late year production which would have actually made it a 2003 where parts are concerned. If this is true then there may by some credibility to production axles from mid 1999 to 2001 having a different axle beam diameter? The master interchange index shows all axle assemblies now from 2002 through 2006 to be interchangeable. There was no revised information for 06-10 production years. But I am presently modifying a 06 NA rear axle that is exactly to spec's as my 05 GT so IMO all the axle through 06 to 2010 are the same as the 02-06. This information would mean that Chrysler simply discontinued the earlier 99-01 axles which may have had a smaller diameter axle beam? As for the sway bar no longer a factory equipped part I am inclined to feel it was more a bean counter and NVH concern like many of the additions or subtraction for that NVH concern over the production years. This is concluded IMO from some very hard to find information from Chrysler pertaining to NVH on PT Cruisers and not because Grandma would not be able to handle the **slightly improved anti body roll having a rear sway bar.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Dec 2013, 06:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
From PT Do-It-Yourself.net ......

All 2001-2002 PT's came equipped with front and rear external sway bars. In late 2002 that changed - new 2003 PT's were being delivered to customers without a rear external sway bar. In some instances the external rear sway bar was noted on the Mulrooney sticker at the dealership, but absent on the PT. Initially, many dealers did not understand why the sway bar was listed on the sticker, but not included on the car. To appease some customers, some dealers installed the rear sway; possibly believing it was a factory oversight. Eventually, DC received enough calls and issued an informational TSB to their dealers.

TSB: 02-004-02
Issue Date: October 28, 2002
Year & Model Affected: 2003 PT Cruiser

Discussion

From the initial launch of the PT Cruiser (2001 model year) all vehicles built for sale in the US and Canada included two devices for roll control at the rear of the vehicle:

1. An internal stabilizer, integrated into the rear twist beam axle and;
2. An external supplemental bar, which was added during product development to achieve, desired vehicle dynamic characteristics.

An engineering change occurred for the 2003 model year that increased the size of the internal stabilizer bar. This new internal bar provides a level of roll control, which equals the performance of the previous combination of internal and external parts. As a result, the external supplemental bar was no longer required, and was dropped from production.

Note - The addition of a supplemental external stabilizer bar on a US or Canadian market 2003 model year PT Cruiser in the absence of other changes will compromise the vehicles rides characteristics, and is not recommended.
This is, as a fact, complete !!

My European 2005 has the rear swaybar on it. Why ? Cause Europeans can not stand the typical American roadability on a car. So yes, it's been taken off to save them money, nothing else
Installed Mopar sub !