PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why no rear swaybar?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2013, 09:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Why no rear swaybar?

It's my understanding that Chrysler had swaybars installed on the rear of cruisers for the first couple years or so and then they stopped for some reason. Does anyone know for sure why.

I am thinking that with the rear swaybar, when the cruiser is pushed near the limit, the back end will slide out and come around very suddenly and unexpectedly. I had that happen to me and I found one other story with someone experiencing the same thing online.

So if this is not the reason, why else would they not even have them on the GTs?
Old 04 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why no rear swaybar?

They did it to save money.
I added a rear sway bar to mine, and it helped in handling corners.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2013, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
It's my understanding that Chrysler had swaybars installed on the rear of cruisers for the first couple years or so and then they stopped for some reason. Does anyone know for sure why.

I am thinking that with the rear swaybar, when the cruiser is pushed near the limit, the back end will slide out and come around very suddenly and unexpectedly. I had that happen to me and I found one other story with someone experiencing the same thing online.

So if this is not the reason, why else would they not even have them on the GTs?
Money, is the big thing. Look at the savings over the production run of the pt. It wasn't seen as a handling car anyway.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2013, 10:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I found one in a junkyard in OKC for $25 with all hardware. Installed in my 09 with no issues. Made a difference.
Old 04 Dec 2013, 11:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not just the sway bars that were eliminated. Chrysler did a lot of cost cutting especially on cruisers and neons. Here's what I can remember since I have owned both vehicles:

Cut after 2002:

Cruiser:
Sway Bar
Heated Mirrors
Some interior lighting

Neon:
Sway Bar
Chrome Fuel/Injector Rail
Injector Cover

I'm probably missing a ton of little things but those are the most noticeable. Unfortunately, Chrysler never bothered to return any of those cut features once they were back on their feet.

I love hearing that chrysler said that the sway bar was built into the rear axle on the PT's. So what was their excuse for the Neon when they took out the sway bars?
Old 05 Dec 2013, 12:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Why no rear swaybar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
It's not just the sway bars that were eliminated. Chrysler did a lot of cost cutting especially on cruisers and neons. Here's what I can remember since I have owned both vehicles:

Cut after 2002:

Cruiser:
Sway Bar
Heated Mirrors
Some interior lighting

Neon:
Sway Bar
Chrome Fuel/Injector Rail
Injector Cover

I'm probably missing a ton of little things but those are the most noticeable.
Engine vanity cover,passenger door key cylinder,rear cargo shelf(except a few upscale models),rear drivers side cargo pocket door/cover,are a few more things deleted.

I got lucky,and found my Eibach rear sway bar on here for $150(shipped),I havent slapped it on yet though.

Eibach_Swaybar.jpg
Old 05 Dec 2013, 02:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

And more:
Inner side seat-pedestal trim, upper edge trim behind glove box, second horn, rubber weather strips on the bottom of all doors.
ptdoityourself.net - PT Cruiser Model Year Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
[B][COLOR="Blue"]Engine vanity cover,passenger door key cylinder,rear cargo shelf(except a few upscale models),rear drivers side cargo pocket door/cover,are a few more things deleted.
Old 05 Dec 2013, 03:04 am
Banned

No no no

They are integrated away bars, you just can't see them!
Old 05 Dec 2013, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net ......

All 2001-2002 PT's came equipped with front and rear external sway bars. In late 2002 that changed - new 2003 PT's were being delivered to customers without a rear external sway bar. In some instances the external rear sway bar was noted on the Mulrooney sticker at the dealership, but absent on the PT. Initially, many dealers did not understand why the sway bar was listed on the sticker, but not included on the car. To appease some customers, some dealers installed the rear sway; possibly believing it was a factory oversight. Eventually, DC received enough calls and issued an informational TSB to their dealers.

TSB: 02-004-02
Issue Date: October 28, 2002
Year & Model Affected: 2003 PT Cruiser

Discussion

From the initial launch of the PT Cruiser (2001 model year) all vehicles built for sale in the US and Canada included two devices for roll control at the rear of the vehicle:

1. An internal stabilizer, integrated into the rear twist beam axle and;
2. An external supplemental bar, which was added during product development to achieve, desired vehicle dynamic characteristics.

An engineering change occurred for the 2003 model year that increased the size of the internal stabilizer bar. This new internal bar provides a level of roll control, which equals the performance of the previous combination of internal and external parts. As a result, the external supplemental bar was no longer required, and was dropped from production.

Note - The addition of a supplemental external stabilizer bar on a US or Canadian market 2003 model year PT Cruiser in the absence of other changes will compromise the vehicles rides characteristics, and is not recommended.
Old 05 Dec 2013, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

But that internal bar measures the same diameter on the 01.
I think that was to give dealers something to tell the customer and get this under control.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com