PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tokico HP Shocks/Struts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2004, 02:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Tokico HP Shocks/Struts

I've had Eibach springs on for a few months now, and the stock dampers were not cutting it. I upgraded to the Tokico HP's. I bought them on Ebay for a good price from JDM#### (or something like that).

I put them in yesterday. It was a night and day difference in ride quality. I would not ever do the Eibach springs again without a shock upgrade. I am very happy with them so far.

Thanks to SakiGT and anyone else who steered me in the right direction.[?]
Old 09 Dec 2004, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

now you see why i always say that good shocks are important.
Old 09 Dec 2004, 05:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

I hear you! I had installed just Eibach springs on my ImpalaSS with no ill effects, so I thought I could get away with it on the GT. I was wrong.

I know some of you may think the ride is acceptable, but just do it. You can thank me (and scores of others) later.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 02:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Well, there goes my database!!! I had a virtually identical experience with my GoldLines and Tokicos, and it seemed that almost everybody else agreed, regardless of spring manufacturer. Except for Eibach owners, who almost unanimously felt the factory dampers were fine with them. Until you.

The list of believers grows

Old 11 Dec 2004, 04:26 pm
Young Cruiser

I do believe it was not that the stock shocks were "fine" with the eibachs, only that they did not experience the bouncy supension that you did.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't think the Eibach's hurt the ride that much either. Maybe there's a difference between the Turbo and N/A, and I think a lot has to do with the type and size tires your running.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 12:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

I didn't think the Eibach's hurt the ride that much either. Maybe there's a difference between the Turbo and N/A, and I think a lot has to do with the type and size tires your running.
You could be right! The turbo's sport suspension supposedly has harder stock springs and softer shocks, so maybe that's why you guys have a harsh ride; the shocks may be too soft. [:I] Just my opinion. I might be wrong.[:0]

By the way Crewzin, your PT looks great with the new GT wheels. I love my rims too.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 12 Dec 2004, 03:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

You could be right! The turbo's sport suspension supposedly has harder stock springs and softer shocks, so maybe that's why you guys have a harsh ride; the shocks may be too soft. [:I] Just my opinion. I might be wrong.[:0]
Hmmm, could be, except that I have a Limited Edition Turbo Lite (Stage 1 equipped, of course!!) and I'm quite certain it did not come with the GT suspension. It also only came with 16" wheels, and all GTs have 17", don't they?

All in all, I think I've given up on trying to explain the whole aftermarket/stock springs and shocks tango. I've never heard anyone say anything really negative about the quality of any of the popular brands, so my advice from here on is this: get the best deal you can on whatever springs and/or shocks you like. If you like the ride of your new aftermarket springs with your factory shocks, then goody for you! If not, get yourself a nice set of aftermarket dampers to go along with them. Seems almost any mix of springs/dampers makes the buyer happy. The combination is, as far as I'm concerned, a terrific mod not only for appearance sake (lowering) but also performance (improved handling). I just want to drive my car!!!
Old 12 Dec 2004, 04:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Hmmm, could be, except that I have a Limited Edition Turbo Lite (Stage 1 equipped, of course!!) and I'm quite certain it did not come with the GT suspension. It also only came with 16" wheels, and all GTs have 17", don't they?
Yes, all the GT's come from the factory with 17" wheels. It is also my understanding that the GT springs and shocks are not used on any of the other PT models.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 05:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Yup, both you guys are right as usual. GT's come with 17" rims, and are the only ones (besides the dream cruisers) to come with the sport suspension. But ..., a Chrysler service guy told me once the there is not much difference between the touring suspension and the sports suspension. He said the sport's spring are slighty stiffer, and the sport's shocks are alittle softer. I don't know if he was right but to tell you the truth, I don't see much of a difference between my old 2001 Touring Edition's ride, and my GT's ride. [:I]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior