PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New member - 2004 PT Issues brought me here

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2013, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New member - 2004 PT Issues brought me here

Hi - Joined today! So glad to find this forum. I've had my 2004 PT Cruiser for a little over a year. A little frustrated today. Number 1 problem is the ignition won't turn. Have seen some posts on changing the ignition cylinder or just the actuator pin. Number 2 problem regards internal fuses....a few months ago my husband set off the panic alarm system. The car wouldn't start after that. Checked internal fuses. the ignition fuse (#16) was blown so I replaced that. I checked it today and it was fine and now it won't stay in its slot when I put it back in.

I like my little car....but very frustrated today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 30 Nov 2013, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New member - 2004 PT Issues brought me here

Welcome....
Some things to try about key -
Move shift lever in and out of park - and try it in neutral.
Move steering wheel - there is a lock position
push in on key when turning it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Nov 2013, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstiles View Post
I checked it today and it was fine and now it won't stay in its slot when I put it back in.
It sounds like you had the ignition and starting issues all worked out. But what is your comment quoted above regarding? Is there a problem with the key staying in position? Or are you speaking of the gear selector? If that's it, do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
Old 30 Nov 2013, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2step, I think she's talking about the No#16 fuse that won't stay in the slot but I can't understand why? Something must be in the way or maybe she bent one of the prongs that hold the fuse and needs to be widened to have room for the fuse to slip into the slot.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome....
Some things to try about key -
Move shift lever in and out of park - and try it in neutral.
Move steering wheel - there is a lock position
push in on key when turning it.
Thank You. I've tried all of these things...
The shift lever will not move out of park.
I've turned the steering well from the extreme left to the extreme right - still cannot turn the key.
I've pushed in on the key, jiggled the key, tried turning the key over, tried the second key, tried turning it back and then forward, locked & unlocked the doors using the remote entry.

I've got the cover off of the steering column. Tried pushing that little yellow button underneath (I think it has something to do with the gear shift) and tried to turn key. That didn't help.

I've seen the videos where you can replace the ignition and/or the actuator pin - but to do either of those you have to be able to turn the key into the on position.

Very frustrated. My son-in-law is going to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
2step, I think she's talking about the No#16 fuse that won't stay in the slot but I can't understand why? Something must be in the way or maybe she bent one of the prongs that hold the fuse and needs to be widened to have room for the fuse to slip into the slot.
Yes, sorry, it's the #16 fuse. I'll try to look at it again later when it's hopefully a little warmer. Cold and windy here in NC and I'm irritated and that's not a good combo!

Thank You!
Old 01 Dec 2013, 12:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: New member - 2004 PT Issues brought me here

Your problem is more than likely the key cylinder,if the 'tumblers' are broken,or worn....You can't turn the key.
You are correct in assuming,you need to turn the key in order to remove,or change the cylinder,and it's not the 'yellow button'(that's the Ignition Interlock Solenoid),you need to push the metal tab,directly under the cylinder.....But,you may end up having to get a locksmith to make a service call to remove the cylinder(probably using a 'Jiggle-Key',or pick-set),but only have him remove the cylinder,and you can do the rest,as show in the video below.(you'll need to match the new cylinder/tumblers to match your original)

3rcruiser likes this.
Old 01 Dec 2013, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks randyincctx!!! I went outside and found little metal 'button' and it did not work. Called a locksmith - he'll be here in about 1 1/2 hours - going to charge $145 to remove and fix. I can handle that. Better than towing to a repairman in the morning and feeling stressful all day wondering how much they were going to try to get me for.

So glad I found this forum. I really do like my little burgundy car...I guess that's the color of it. It sort of matches OSU and Bama school colors.

Anyway - thanks again. I'm sure I will be checking back. Have a great day!
Old 01 Dec 2013, 04:54 pm
Banned

Why did you only join when you have a problem?

Are you an enthusiast or just an owner?
Old 01 Dec 2013, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Why did you only join when you have a problem?

Are you an enthusiast or just an owner?
My opinion is, the OP has already contributed more meaningful posts than some who have been on here for long time!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
2004 cruiser, ignition problems, internal fuse