PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition

Like Tree14Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2017, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition

Can you bypassed the ignition switch? Yes you can. But the issue here is that there is no indication that the ignition switch needs to be bypassed.

We need you to better describe what's going on. When you turn the key on and try to start the car, does the engine turn at normal speed, slowly, or does it not turn at all until you try several times?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 09:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvio View Post
You know IGN,
I had asked ONE simple Question, and NOBODY, seems to be able to Answer it!!
I got to help myself?
So, Why are You answering to my Postsm
I thought You may know me thing about PT's !
I guess I was WRONG..I can Help myself Very Well, I assure You.
I don't need to hear a sarcastic remark from You, Bud!
Go read up on Your Mechanicical Expertise. .lol
Folks here tend to help people find the root of the problem and not put a band aid fix on it. To begin with, "won't start" means different things to different folks. To me won't start means, will turn over, but not start, which could be countless things preventing fuel, spark, or compression. However, to others "won't start" means will not turnover, which could be many other totally different problems. If you would like help finding the root of the problem, you are in the best place for free expert advice (any Google search on pt problems will always send you here), and you should answer the first question of...what does "won't start" mean to you? The better the details, the better the help. After that, reapond to others suggestions with your results. If here only looking for a half ass way to get by, good luck with the advice. I haven't been here long, but I know the best of the best on here, won't get involved in shady advice, but are more than happy to offer in depth knowledge and support to help get to the root of the problem, to include some offering to talk you through the process over the phone. Good luck!
Old 27 Sep 2017, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your battery and battery charging system is working properly, your battery cables are good and making good contact, you have no engine trouble codes, I would suggest you check your TIPM. The TIPM for your year Pt Cruiser is known to fail. Is both headlights working properly?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Ignition

Hello again,
By me saying Don't Start, is that when I turn the Key, I get nothing, or, a couple of very weak turns, of the engine.
If I manage to get it started, I'm lucky, but it has gotten worse, in the last month..The movement of the Key also, makes everything on the dash, go to Zero, and all the Red lights come on the dash.
Also I get an engine light, when I am trying to start it.
I thought all along it was the starter, but am now convinced, its the ignition .
What do you think? Thanks
Old 27 Sep 2017, 11:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hello again,
By me saying Don't Start, is that when I turn the Key, I get nothing, or, a couple of very weak turns, of the engine.
If I manage to get it started, I'm lucky, but it has gotten worse, in the last month..The movement of the Key also, makes everything on the dash, go to Zero, and all the Red lights come on the dash.
I thought all along it was the starter, but am now convinced, its the ignition .
I see you met the ignition switch. You also gave more information that points to the ignition switch. So you are asking if there is a way to bypass the ignition switch until you have more funds to have it replaced. The plastic pin in the ignition cylinder housing might be broken.

One of our other member JoeX had posted the information below to help others with the 2nd generation ignition switch.

The Second Generation, 2006 and up ignition cylinder housing was redesigned
but still functions the same. Inserting the key pushes a plastic pin in the housing to close a switch (make contact) in the electric starter switch.

2006 ignition switch.jpg

With the electronics involved i have no idea how you could bypass the ignition switch. Maybe another member might have an idea.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Sep 2017 at 11:35 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, as everyone here knows, I'm NOT an ASE Certified Master Mechanic. But, it sounds to me like you have a ground problem. I'd suggest you check the ground cable on your battery and pay particular attention to the ground wires that run from the battery to the drivers side fender. This has been a known weak spot in the PT Cruiser electrical system. Gases from the battery can accumulate on the grounds here and cause corrosion and even breakage in the ground wires. Please take a look at them before jumping into the switch. I don't think you can bypass it like in the good old days of carburetors and distributor type ignition set ups.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hello again,
Okay.

Let's make an assumption the battery is actually good based on what you said about the load test. I HIGHLY recommend you assure that battery is good first. If you are possessive the battery is good, next assure the battery cables are clean, tight and in good condition as already recommended by Chuzz. If no joy, here's how to bypass the key cylinder.

Here's a photo of the ignition switch mechanism from Rob. It's from a 1st Gen PT but it's going to be somewhat similar to your 2nd Gen PT.

The part on the right is basically what is inside the housing shown in Steve's photo above. The part circled in red is the plastic pin that sometimes becomes damaged. The black part on the left is the actual ignition switch. If you remove the cover from the steering column, you can remove the switch (black part), plug it back in and then test it using a screwdriver to turn it and start the engine. The Sentry key will need to remain in the ignition cylinder while this is done so the SKIM will work.

By doing this, you may be able to tell if the problem is the plastic pin between the key cylinder and switch (as already suggested) or if it is the switch itself.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Sep 2017 at 08:52 am.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 08:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Hello again,
I am also not a car mechanic (Jets are my field of expertise), but along the way of being a wrench turner, owning crappy cars, and having limited budget, I have alittle exp. under my belt and usually chime in only when I think I might have some pretty solid advise. I'm with most of the consesus pointing toward battery/ground issue. PTs are pretty particular about their batteries and having the dash drop to zero, engine lights coming on, and slow to crank certainly points to a problem with the battery, battery connection or ground issue and were some of the same symptoms that I experianced on my own car. My problem was resolved by replacing the battery. I know you had the battery tested. If you are satisfied that it was checked out properly, I'd be checking the grounds...after all, if money is tight, it is a FREE way to eliminate the most common problems.

When you say key movement causes the guages to drop to zero and the dummy lights come on, do you mean turning the key or giggling the key?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 11:16 am
Regular Cruiser

The others that have replied have much more experience than I do, so take my suggestion with that in mind.

I would check out the starter itself.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrak View Post
The others that have replied have much more experience than I do, so take my suggestion with that in mind.

I would check out the starter itself.
Never assume someone with a certification has more experience than you do. And never assume someone with more experience knows more than you do. Young and older inexperienced folks invent many more things and solve many more problems than the guys that are supposed to know what they are doing.

As an EXTREMELY general rule of thumb, a bad battery causes slow starts when a car engine is cold while a starter often causes problems with the engine is hot. Doesn't always work that way. But it's go to know when trying to sort out something like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Sep 2017 at 11:40 am.
Closed Thread