PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition

Like Tree14Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2017, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvio View Post
Hello again,
It was put under a load test, and came up 79%, while starting it. It's charging properly, and, it all checked out fine.
It gave me alot of trouble today,starting, and is getting worse.
Any way, I can bypass the ignition from under the hood, to start it, with the key turned on?
We need to answer the member's question. The only answer so far is to take the ignition switch apart and modify it. I say if you are going to go through that much trouble just replace what is wrong with it after it has been verified that the ignition switch is bad.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Ignition

He'll again,
Thank You all for answering my questions, but, It has not been verified, that it is the ignition.
That is only my opinion, as to what the car is doing.
I can't afford the fix right now, because I am disabled, and, just wanted to know if I can start the car, ( If it fails to start), by bypassing the Ignition.
Please let me know so I don't end up stranded, someplace.
I Thank You All, for Your Help..
Tvio
Old 28 Sep 2017, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvio View Post
He'll again,
Thank You all for answering my questions, but, It has not been verified, that it is the ignition.
That is only my opinion, as to what the car is doing.
I can't afford the fix right now, because I am disabled, and, just wanted to know if I can start the car, ( If it fails to start), by bypassing the Ignition.
Please let me know so I don't end up stranded, someplace.
I Thank You All, for Your Help..
Tvio
Tvio,

As we've been trying to tell you, it's likely not the ignition switch. But I've given you a way to at least see if the switch could be the problem.

If your PT fails to start and it's the battery, or the starter, or the cables, or the plastic key cylinder pin, or anything else we've mentioned; then bypassing the ignition switch is going to do nothing but cause you to cut some very important wires for no good reason and only double the problems you have now.

If you have access to the service manual for your car, the wiring diagram for the ignition switch is in 8W-30 if I remember right. From there, you can figure out how to "hot wire" the car and bypass the ignition switch. The sentry key will still have to be in the ignition cylinder or tied directly to the SKIM antenna loop. HOWEVER, a new switch is only around $20 and one from a salvage yard is under $10. So I would NEVER recommend someone do this.

If I was you, I would try some of things recommended by the members of this forum if I could. And if I couldn't, I'd try to find a friend or trusted mechanic to try and figure this out for me. And I would NOT hotwire the ignition. There's just no reason to do this.
Tvio likes this.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Ignition

Thank You Very Much!!
Advise Taken..
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Tvio,

As we've been trying to tell you, it's likely not the ignition switch. But I've given you a way to at least see if the switch could be the problem.

If your PT fails to start and it's the battery, or the starter, or the cables, or the plastic key cylinder pin, or anything else we've mentioned; then bypassing the ignition switch is going to do nothing but cause you to cut some very important wires for no good reason and only double the problems you have now.

If you have access to the service manual for your car, the wiring diagram for the ignition switch is in 8W-30 if I remember right. From there, you can figure out how to "hot wire" the car and bypass the ignition switch. The sentry key will still have to be in the ignition cylinder or tied directly to the SKIM antenna loop. HOWEVER, a new switch is only around $20 and one from a salvage yard is under $10. So I would NEVER recommend someone do this.

If I was you, I would try some of things recommended by the members of this forum if I could. And if I couldn't, I'd try to find a friend or trusted mechanic to try and figure this out for me. And I would NOT hotwire the ignition. There's just no reason to do this.
Bad idea to try modifying on an Can Bus system for the 2006 Pt Cruiser. You are asking more trouble than you have started out with.

Handy_Cruiser, I would discourage from offering advice that has a high risk of failure.