PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone with Dropzone ior Maxspeed springs nstalled?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2009, 07:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anyone with Dropzone ior Maxspeed springs nstalled?

I would like to lower my 2003 PT. Not much money to spare right now, so the Dropzone and Maxspeed spring pricing is attractive. Anyone have Dropzones or Maxspeeds installed? Bad experiences? Bad ride?

I drive the PT daily to and from work...........interstate mostly. Would Dropzones or Maxspeeds be a mistake?

Thanks.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone with Dropzone ior Maxspeed springs nstalled?

I have Maxspeed - rear only (front is low enough )
If you don't drop more than 2" in rear, ride should not suffer, unless you have 3 hefty adults in the back.

Look here
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...es-2009-a.html

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Oct 2009, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. The Dropzones are a 2" drop and the picture looks like they are a progressive wind. The Maxspeeds I think only drop 1.5" and they also look progressive. A 2" drop might look better.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 06:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Anyone with Dropzone ior Maxspeed springs nstalled?

Hey their cybercg,

Come on, be a man and put a real drop on her.

I'm just kidding!

Most of the ride quality comes from the materials, and the progressive winding as you already mentioned which helps to absorb some of the shock from the tighter spacing of the spring. The Dropzone and Maxspeeds are a little less quality on the material which will give them a little less ride quality, but as long as your just going for a mild drop, you should be alright. As you most likely already know, the cardinal rule with drop spring is "The lower ya go, the less the ride" Their is a sweet spot on a PT where you go beyond it, and even with high end springs the ride quality just isn't gonna be their no matter what you do unless you can adjust it via air ride, but if you don't drive it all the time, or don't drive it long distances all the time, its not really that bad. The front is more so since it has to absorb most of the initial shock so you feel it more.

So the Dropzone and Maxspeeds, will give you a little bumpier ride if you do the whole kit. If you just drop the back you will have little to no change in ride but will also have little difference in overall drop. If you watch Ebay or Craigslist you can usually find good deals on Goldlines, or Eibachs of which both make mild, and more aggressive drop kits as well with Eibachs being at the higher end of the Spring spectrum.

Then if you really want to get more serious about dropping your ride, I made my own 3/5 drop springs which is 1/4" in front, and a full 2" lower than any other kit on the market leveling the body height to 4" from body to ground which of course doesn't leave much left for ride quality, but gives a really killer look.

Here is where mine sat on my springs before going to air ride in pursuit of eventually getting my ride ti sit on its rockers!

And here is where it sits on air ride now which is not a lot different from where it sat on the springs:

And the ultimate goal:

Anyways, good luck on your drop, and be sure to post some pics whenever you get her a little closer to ground level!

Welcome to the Forum, go easy and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 11 Oct 2009 at 07:01 pm.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate the quality feedback. I would love to drop it like you have, but as a daily driver, I might learn to regret it. You can't beat the look though. I love the look. So, right now, I am leaning toward a 2" drop and no more. Has anyone dealt with Mad Racing Concepts? They are selling the Dropzones. Are they OK to deal with?

Thanks again.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK. Thanks for the input. I purchased a set of DropZone springs. I hope to install this coming weekend. I will post before and after pics.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jonnbr

Whats up guys, new here. Candyman - what exactly did you do whenever you had dropped yours? I`ve had several bagged and juiced minis a couple years back, and I`ve been having my PT for about 3yrs. now and I went to a show this weekend and I believe I`ve been bit all over again. lol. Cant believe I`ve driven it stock this whole time. But looking at the pic of yours dropped, thats where I want to start off. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Jon
Old 19 Oct 2009, 02:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: Anyone with Dropzone ior Maxspeed springs nstalled?

Hey their jonnbr,

Welcome to the Forum, and I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions on dropping your PT. . Cost wise you are looking at $250.00 to $350.00 range for springs, and $2500.00 + range for air ride plus installation. Here is the pick from above that shows the difference between my custom 3" / 5" drop springs I custom made, and my air ride to give you an idea between the two.

I can also explain how to get your PT to drop all the way to the ground like the last photo above, but it is expensive, and a lot of work to pull it off.

At the moment, I just need a bit more information from you on what you are looking at doing.

1. Which way are you thinking about going, drop springs, or air ride?

2. How low do you want to go?

3. Do you plan to add a Body Kit at some point down the road?

I can help walk you through how to do anywhere from a mild drop, all the way down to fully slammed like my PT is sitting in my last photo above. Just need to know where you want it to be.

Go easy, let me know, and I will catch you later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Last edited by Candyman; 19 Oct 2009 at 03:03 am.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jonnbr

I`m not wanting to go the adjustable route on this ride, just yet, I`d probably put a 2 pump setup if I did. My goal now is just to get it as low as possible without cutting much, I like the stance yours had when it was dropped. I was looking under the rear and I saw that it has a 'watts link' and a 2 link from the factory, pretty cool. So, yea, I want it as low as yours was and no, I won't be adding any body kits to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 20 Oct 2009, 11:12 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Talking Re: Anyone with Dropzone ior Maxspeed springs nstalled?

Hey their jonnbr,

Alright, if you wannt to go to the ground on springs, ya got two options.

OptionA. Goldline Super Slammers. Will sit 1/4" higher in front, and two inches higher in back. Pretty close on the look, but still has a rake which I don't really dig on, and why I went with making my own.

The good,

It does the job, not a lot of money, and its the lowest aftermarket kit out.

The Bad:

Ride quality sucks (as it is any time you drop a ride that far) They are getting harder to find, and they don't get it to level out like I would like.

Option B: If you would like, I can see about hooking up another set of my springs. The last of the four sets, and the way high end Titanium mix drop springs are already spoken for, but I can see if we can make a couple more as I seem to get a lot of peeps asking about them, so its probably a good idea to have at least a couple more on hand.

The good:

It levels the car, and gives it the stance it deserves. Waaay cheaper than air ride (unless you got some way cool friends) with close to the same results. No cutting, or modding required accept the bump stops which should be shaved down to allow a little bit of travel., and (This one was tested at KMC Corporate Offices) you can actually fit 19" wheels in front, and 20" wheels in back with no issues even with that big of a drop. And lots, and lots of jealous PT Guys asking how you got your ride to sit like that!

The Bad: Due to not getting a break in material, they are expensive as compared to other springs. Why? Cause we have to buy the material at retail instead of buying it wholesale due to bulk shipment. So higher cost material which is $350.00, plus powder coat (though any color you want, or black chrome like mine were, and once again poor ride quality, which is part of slamming your ride to the ground, and watch driveways, speedbumps, and curbs, as they all are the enemy!!!

You can opt to go with aftermarket struts which will give you a little better ride over stock, but not much difference for the money spent to IMHO.

Other than that, its just another easy normal install, and your ride is on the ground in a couple of hours.

If you have any more questions, please let me know, and I will be more than happy to help.

One last thing: I am getting ready for a 3 month Hospital stay to fix a few spinal issues, and I may be away from the Forums for a while, but I am going to try to arrange so my friend Slayer can keep in touch, so if you might want a set of my springs, just post, and I can call my friend who makes them and see about working up a set while I am away.

Anyways, go easy, let me know whatever you decide to do, and like I said, any questions...

Last edited by Candyman; 20 Oct 2009 at 12:05 pm.