Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By leftyjay
  • 4 Post By leftyjay
  • 1 Post By leftyjay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2016, 09:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default how to tighten/loosen tokico strut nut?

i have to change my strut mount since i broke one of the bolts off. i ordered a mount and rented a set of spring compressors. i cant stop to whole shaft from turning when i try to loosen the nut.

i tried a leather strap with vise grip on the shaft, duct tape with vise grip, mouse pad with vise grip. only thing that will get the shaft from turning would be putting the vise grips directly on the shaft. and i'm NOT going to do that.

the top of the mount sinks the nut below level. the nut is a 21mm. there is a 10mm shaft above the nut that you should be able to grab (if the nut wasnt sunken into the mount). you would think tokico would have a wrench or socket that would make this an easy install.

i searched for a way, and there just doesn't seem to be an answer.

Old 03 Jun 2016, 09:56 pm
Banned

Default Re: how to tighten/loosen tokico strut nut?

There has to be a special tool for that application, something similar to this that will hold the piston rod and also allowing you to unloosen the mount nut:

Here's one configuration that uses common tools:

Here's another possibility, not on a PT but the same configuration:

It also appears that they make off-set wrenches that can reach deep down inside a top mount.

Have you tried an auto parts store that loans or rents tool, they are bound to have one.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Jun 2016 at 10:10 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 11:12 pm
Young Cruiser

going back tomorrow.

thanks!!!
rckstein likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 01:55 pm
Young Cruiser

the special socket tool that you need is no where to be found locally. i even checked out the pass-through sockets at sears, lowes, home depot. they only had up to 18mm. I could order the strut nut socket online and wait another 5-7 days, or i can come up with another option

so i did some Macgyver work on a 22mm oxygen censor socket. i put metal shims inside the socket to convert it to 21mm. worked like a charm. cost me under $10 and now i have an oxygen censor socket if that ever goes bad.

Old 04 Jun 2016, 03:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjay View Post
the special socket tool that you need is no where to be found locally. i even checked out the pass-through sockets at sears, lowes, home depot. they only had up to 18mm. I could order the strut nut socket online and wait another 5-7 days, or i can come up with another option

so i did some Macgyver work on a 22mm oxygen censor socket. i put metal shims inside the socket to convert it to 21mm. worked like a charm. cost me under $10 and now i have an oxygen censor socket if that ever goes bad.

Old 04 Jun 2016, 06:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

With the spring clamps in place with very slight tension to hold clamps in place, use air gun on nut or ratchet loosen. Spring has to still have pressure on plate. If you compress spring and there is no tension on plate it will spin. Good luck keep us posted.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 06:37 pm
Young Cruiser

i dont have access to an air wrench, so i made due with the O2 socket. i was able to use a 1/2" socket wrench on the O2 and a 3/8" socket wrench to hold the 10mm. worked fine. its not like i'll need to buy something expensive if i'm only going to use it once or twice.

i have just about every ratchet i'd probably ever need 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and all the sockets short and long, breaker bars, torque wrench, a couple jacks and stands, ramps.

an air gun has been missing in my tools. tried the cheap ones and they wouldn't budge a lug nut. i have a 21 gal air compressor that puts out a decent amount of air. seems like you need at least 800 ft lbs and 7500 rpm with a switch to lower the torque. those run $150-250 to get a decent one. i'm really not a car guy, but i figured if i can save a buck here and there, i will do what i can.

struts are ready to be installed AGAIN (3rd times the charm)
rckstein likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 12:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My best tool purchase in the past decade has probably been my Milwaukee 9072 corded impact wrench. I don't have a decent air compressor, just a cheap HF one that is "good enough" for air brushing plastic models and blowing dog hair out of the computer keyboard. The impact wrench has been a huge aid to taking lug nuts off, removing wheel hub nuts without a torch and 12 foot breaker bar and it probably saved my hide taking off the big vertical bolt of the Lower Control Arm without spinning the hidden nut below the floor of the PT Cruiser.

It also made short order on compressing the coil over springs on my Outback shocks this weekend. Knowing what I do now, I could have bought just the struts for the PT Cruiser instead of buying the entire assembly and saved a few $ but I wanted to reduce risk and don't regret my choice a couple of months ago.

I got mine for $169 At CPO tools for the new one but you can get a reconditioned one for $145. Very well worth it.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 03:30 pm
Young Cruiser

what a disaster with my front tokico blue struts.

i bought them and the tein springs as well as all the parts needed to assemble them. i originally took them to my local mechanic that has been working on my cars since 2002. i had them assemble the struts. all i had to do is install them.

first thing was a clunk noise. found out the passenger strut mount was 180 degrees backwards. i took it back to them and they fixed that. but the clunk was still there. so, i decided to rent a spring compressor and tools to dis-assemble the struts and clock the springs correctly. upon this time, i noticed some scratches on the strut poles. i couldnt see them with the boots and bump stop on. when i took them apart, i noticed it.

today i finally had a chance to put them on the car. i noticed both are leaking. one has completely lost all pressure.

now, the problem is, i took these in to the mechanic to do the job i didnt want to do. paid him $60 to assemble both. they messed up one by assembling it backwards. now i find these scratches on the poles, which tell me the guy used vise grips or pliers to hold the rod while he probably used an air wrench on the top nut.

i have to talk to the owner of the shop about this monday. in the meantime, i have the original front struts back in. i dont see this ending very good for me or the shop that screwed up my struts.