Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 2 Post By Macgyverman1123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2021, 12:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Stuck CV Axle

Hey y'all!!

Currently working on the suspension replacement. So far, everything is going pretty well, but the driver's side CV axle is stuck in the transmission really bad. The passenger side came out easy as pie, barely had to slip a screwdriver in there. New one went in fine. But the driver's side will not budge at all!! I've tried screwdrivers, pry bars of various sizes and places, etc. I don't want to yeet it out of there and break something in the transmission or whatever, and the cv axle already broke in half when I was trying to remove it. I heard that you could take a hacksaw blade or something, cut a small slot in the old axle and try to pry that way, but it still didn't budge. I'd love to hear your suggestions, because this axle is harshin' my mellow, man!!
Old 25 Apr 2021, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Stuck CV Axle

dut in drive and turn axel 90 degrees , put in netural. re try removal, then 90 again retry, then again,

the clip is stuck and not poping in, a slide hamer with L attachemeds might work pulling from behind the cup
Old 25 Apr 2021, 05:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Stuck CV Axle

Macgyverman1123 texted me a pic of his Macgyvering to get the axle out! He made a slide hammer of sorts and the axle came right out. Hopefully he posts here...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
Old 25 Apr 2021, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Stuck CV Axle

RcktPwrd is right, I mavgyvered it!! The factory axle has three indentations where you could place a pry bar and gently remove, which is why the passenger side was easy as pie. On the driver side, however, some idiot (Not me this time) put an aftermarket one which is round and completely fills the cavity. The c clip is also a tiny bit too big.
When I was trying to remove it, the boot ripped in half and I was left with a half half shaft and nothing to grab onto.
Pry bars were useless, I even tried the internet trick of cutting into the old axle with a die grinder (Hacksaw for me because I'm a cheap@$$) and prying with that. Still no luck.

I tried cussing at it, that seemed to help.

Then I went inside and drank some beer.

Then, I went to Lowes, got a new vice grips with some sharp teeth, and got a 6' long threaded rod that went into the vice grips where the adjuster thumbscrew usually is. Then, I got various size nuts and washers to step up to a large 5 pound barbell I found in the back of my buddy's Hemi Wagon, and put it all together!

I clipped the vice grips onto the metal housing of the old axle, super super super tight. Actually crushed it out of round a little bit.
Grab the barbell, and whack it!! I actually only hit it twice, and not even that hard! I just hadn't been applying the right kind of pressure before. Worked amazing!!!! For anyone reading this thread with a stuck axle, try this before you use pry bars and ruin the spider gears in the transmission!! It cost me $23, including the grips. So worth it!!!

Can't post the pic for some reason.....