PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 1 Post By circus
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2022, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Exclamation turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

Yep, don't really notice it in town, but then again never going around curves at speed. On the HIGHWAY, going around a curve ( turning right) i just have to turn the wheel a few degrees and I now hear/feel this "rubbing".
STRANGE!!

I have it booked into the shop on Monday (where a couple of weeks ago it just came out of getting all sorts of various work including some tie-rod end replacement).
Could they have assembled something backwards? Or it is a tire going strange? Nothing obviously visible, peeking in the wheelwell...

Any hints are much appreciated. I do notice that the left front wheel is oddly a higher inflation than the others (its sitting at 40 PSI, others are at 30-34...)

* these tires are rated to like 55, so I don't think its neccessarily an issue - just odd that its higher

Last edited by rockandroller; 03 Apr 2022 at 04:28 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2022, 09:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

Whenever I hear "Rubbing/grinding noise" followed by "While turning", my first thought is CV axles are going bad. When I hear that statement followed by "On the highway", it makes me think wheel bearings.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 04 Apr 2022, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

Well, they looked at it in the shop, and really found "nothing wrong"... they suspect wheel bearings too - but no hurry to replace them as they said "there was no play".

They recommend replacing both front wheel bearings ($450!) to see if maybe the noise goes away but were of the opinion that it was not urgent.
This car approaching 20 years of age, I suppose it wouldnt hurt to do wheel bearings the next time it needs the brakes done.

BUT I'm a little pissed that they charged me $125 to 'diagnose' this - considering that three weeks ago I paid them $150 for a mandatory safety inspection (can't get the car licensed here without it!!) - AND then I gave them another $4,000 to do various bits of "required work" (like changing out the windshield because IT HAD A 13MM CHIP CRACK IN IT).

Anyway, one would think that the mandatory "SAFETY" should have included a highway road-test, which is where the mystery wheel noise becomes audible!

This is the local Chrysler dealership, by the way.
Old 05 Apr 2022, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
They recommend replacing both front wheel bearings ($450!) ... charged me $125 to 'diagnose....them $150 for a mandatory safety inspection....another $4,000 to do various bits...This is the local Chrysler dealership, by the way.
Outrageous. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Turning right puts pressure on the left bearing. Do you know any teenagers that have access to a press? $20 for the bearing $60 for the kid. Check the hub for wear or just replace it, good or bad.

Last edited by circus; 05 Apr 2022 at 12:01 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2022, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any chance you are running a wider/bigger tire, and the shock/strut is going bad, allowing tire to contact the strut?

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 09 Apr 2022, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Any chance you are running a wider/bigger tire, and the shock/strut is going bad, allowing tire to contact the strut?
That's a idea!
But its got stock (16") wheels and stock tires, and allegedly they checked the full suspension for 'the safety certificate' (one shock was replaced for that, I forget which one).

I do run fatter/taller tires on the back during the summer, but as of today we still have snow on the roads here...

*I always run stock tire size on front, just to keep the speedo calibrated
Old 16 Apr 2022, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: turn right: hear / feel "rubbing" in the left-side wheelwell area ??

BTW, any suggestions on how to know when it's time to actually go ahead and replace the bearings? Really nothing noticeable yet driving in town ( which is 99% of my driving nowadays...)
Old 17 Apr 2022, 07:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
BTW, any suggestions on how to know when it's time to actually go ahead and replace the bearings?
Importance declines with distance from the wheels. Wheel bearings are pretty close to the wheel!
PS There's no reason both need changing if there's no money saved.
https://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum...placement.html
check out the similar threads near the bottom

Last edited by circus; 17 Apr 2022 at 07:39 am.
Old 17 Apr 2022, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

But, you should feel lucky!
I have Cruiser that eats up wheel bearings every year.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!